Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I’m still deciding where I’ll go. The weather looks good though, and it’s nice here at the moment. I’ll have to check the swellmap and see what it’s saying, because I don’t want to go all the way out to Birdlings flat and find it’s a massive swell and not fishable. Might also look at going around to lyttelton, or just to the Pier even.

yellowfin
    Participant

swell map is looking fairly goodmin most places tomorrow with a nw wind not too strong
    although napenape has a light ne wind so yea birdlings being sloser might be where i hea with about 1m swell but its less at napenape

PierMaster
    Participant

If anyone heading out to birdlings i might come along im gona leave work early so should be able to fish a bit :)
    flick me a text or leave a comment otherwise might cya out there

yellowfin
    Participant

You talking about tomorrow? If so, I’ll probably be there around lunch time, maybe earlier. Probably fish till dark.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea ill be there proberbly too not sure exactly where there as i dont really wanna walk miles but ill be there till i get sick of it weather thats im just tired or no fish

yellowfin
    Participant

flick me a txt if you do come down andrew 0273738342

PierMaster
    Participant

yeah 2mrw if im gona try finish at 10am so will be out after then round 11, ill just fish at birdlings near were u park on the gravel

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from the Wairau Bar, decided to throw a burley out and have a few flicks with the fly rod. I have found the Bar very hard fishing the last couple of years compared with the diversion but went there because it was less busy. A few years back both the bar and diversion was equally effective for fishing.

Never used a burley in the river before but decided it could be worthwhile. After around 5 casts I got the biggest tangle possible in my fly line…. So spent 10 minutes trying to untangle it without luck :( , decided to pull the burley in and discovered there was 100 or so mud crabs feeding on it. The 50 or so biggest ones are now in my freezer :)

yellowfin
    Participant

Went to Birdlings flat this morning, fished till about 2 with no luck. Didn’t even catch a single dogfish, and conditions were a bit rough. Went over to New Brighton, but didn’t end up fishing. I was going to stay till dark, but it was an outgoing tide. So a bit of a waste of a day really.

yellowfin
    Participant

also went to birdlings beautiful day though a lil rough was fishing just down the beach from zac. i got one small doggie and andrew (piermaster) i think got 5 small doggies though he wont admit it lol (they were tiny) and i think he got 3 mullet. dunno where ill go 2morrow im sure i can work out sumwhere

St_Paul
    Participant

Well done with the mudcrabs milli, will have to pop down and try and get some those things are great rig bait. was hoping to get out and have a few flicks at the diversion but can’t get away. Might try and sneak out for a snapper fish shortly

Miliwolf
    Participant

Its getting quite chaotic on the weekends down the diversion now, with the number of anglers and their kids running about all over the place. Before the influx of vineyard workers there was only a handful of people down there when the KY were not running.

In saying that, its normally possible to wade out into the Surf (must remember life jacket) and get clear casting space and its not unusual for KY to be all along the river, have caught heaps above the road bridge in previous years but I do believe they concentrate around the mouth especially during low tide.

Some idiot drove into the gate on the south bank a few days past, allowing people to get down that side also. So that side is getting busier now. Going to email council on Monday to see if they know about it.

Should not be to hard to capture mud crabs, I have seen heaps of them living in the rock amour at the Bar, they probably also at the diversion but can,t remember. Going to test them beside paddle crabs to see which one works best.

(Gotten my fly line tangle down to a single overhead knot now)

yellowfin
    Participant

What’s the status of Lake Forsyth at the moment? Is it open to the sea? If so, did they ever build a walkway/bridge over it? I’m thinking of going there or Tumbledown bay saturday night.

yellowfin
    Participant

no its not open to the sea

gunnercoops
    Participant

Three of us went to Baileys last night 8pm-1.30am…serious amount of dogfish, they were in plague proportions, from the tiniest of tiny to a reasonable size, 2 school sharks, one 5.5lb, the other about 2lb, and 1 30cm red cod.
    Great night, sea was ok. I fished raw prawn for the first 2 hours without a touch, whilst the other were pulling in doggies every cast on mullet and bonito..I was wanting a Rig but gave up on prawns eventually, switched to mullet and got the schoolies in quick succesion then into the doggies.
    Also stuck a 6/0 into my finger past the barb :shock: ..which was nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.