Latest Catches 2

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 861 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Swellmap has temps

PierMaster
    Participant

yeah dnt have to cast fas at all at birdlings, one year in the comp me and my mates got bout 30 herring on a 1 hook handline with no sinker lol thats how close they were.

the schoolie i got had 3 whole baby dogfish in its guts, why would it want to eat them when there is so much better stuff to eat out there! lol

yellowfin
    Participant

the sst is under the 7 day forecast part showing 17.8 at brighton atm and 17.2 and hurinui mouth

yellowfin
    Participant

Went for a drive out to Wakanui beach just now. Massive swell, one of the biggest I’ve seen there. Wouldn’t be fishible even with 19 foot rod. I wouldn’t think it would be safe either. Shows how much the sea can change in a day, as on Sunday it was so calm there were hardly any waves at all.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Cool, thanks guys. I wounder where swellmaps gets its figures from? Satellite data via NOAA I’m guessing. Interesting that pocket of quite warm 19 degree water sort’ve near the coast of Ashburton / Timaru!

The kingfish must be round pretty soon I would think.

Cheers
    Aaron

theres no fish around anywhere. why would you bother fishing with the best summer ever and beer cheaper than ever. fishing is to costly these days for no reward. last year was magic this year custard no fish at all anywhere. rugby season in 2 weeks thank god.

tracknz
    Participant

Jones Jr.

rdeejay
    Participant

zac

Giller
    Participant

very nice sized ele you have there :)

Rodman
    Participant

Got two rig at wakanui this morning. The first one was the biggest that I have caught this season. Sounds like conditions yesterday would have been even better than today but I cant fish every day. Was holding bottom with no drift with 5oz storm sinkers.
    Rodman.

If you dont want to eat it put it back.

yellowfin
    Participant

Don’t think Yesterday would’ve been better, not in the afternoon/evening anyway. Swell was about the second biggest I’ve seen there, the biggest I’ve seen the waves were up to where you park your car basically, and you could park there and have it basically splash onto your car.

Rodman
    Participant

On rough days I have had to cast from the carpark and still caught some good fish. Big swells are not much good for eles but rig seem to like these conditions.

Rodman.

If you dont want to eat it put it back.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

tracknz

Miliwolf
    Participant

Went for a fish this evening, headed down to the bar for a look at the vandalism the council has been doing down there. They have completely blocked the Wairau off from the sea and created a new mouth. There is still alot of flow getting through the stones.

But, all of the mullets, whitebait, and other fish did not know that so there was tens of thousand of them trying to swim upstream but were trapped behind the new Wall. So I spent around three hours throwing flys at them. Hooked around 8 mullet and 4 KY. There was a few big KY which swam around but refused any fly or spinning. I caught one small KY and kept it because it had a infected looking bottom. I later had a closer look and discovered it was trying to poop out a 4/0 or 5/0 fish hook :shock: I removed the hook. The local sea gull also stole my bait KY and a mullet, So only had 4 mullet for bait.

At around 8:40pm decided to head down for a quick surf cast. Fished a spot a few hundred meters down from the old mouth. The water was fairly dirty with a incoming/high tide. Fished two mullet baits and a flasher rig with cooked prawn. The flasher rig caught a nice rig, and one of the mullets had its tail bitten off. Went home after a hour or so of fishing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Weather isn’t looking to bad for the weekend, but forecast does say Southerly. I’ll probably just head to the Pier to stock up on some mullet/kahawai for bait tomorrow.

Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 861 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.