landbased game gear

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rayhunter
    Participant

well i will start with rods and reels what other people use?

Duckman
    Participant

just a cheap set from the warehouse, works fine, with the 25% off picked up my surf rod and reel with nylon $32 bucks

troutfishernz
    Participant

Duckman

Duckman
    Participant

see ya point, it will last as long as it will, lol but cheap enough to buy another, i did have a dear rod a few years back that didn’t last at all, broke the tip off, i think maybe 20 yrs ago it cost me 80 bucks

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have seen expensive rods snap…. price is no indication of durability. My two main Snapper rods are both sub $100 rods and have landed big fish and I treat them roughly.

I own many rods…. Can not remember the exact names…

I own a couple of soft tip rods, one a Shimano Raider the other a Ugly stik gold. They are around 8ft and rated 6-10kg or thereabouts. I use them for stray lining off the rocks for snapper. My Snapper reels are a Penn Slammer and a Daiwa certate 4000 . I also own a Kilwelll Rocky II which is a high end soft tip rod, it has a lot of power and good for throwing big heavy baits. I rarely fish it. I also have a expensive high end Kilwelll which also sees very limited use, thats my Kingie rod.

I own four Surfcasters, A OKuma Axeon, Okuma Solaris, Kilwell GGX and a Shimano Backbone. They all cast baits and catch fish….. They are all low end to mid range rods, the backbone resembles a broom stick. My Surf reels are a Shimano 6500b, Tica scepter (or something), Daiwa Emcast, Daiwa emblem pro. The emblem pro is currently broken, waiting for repairs. Funny how the most expensive reel was the first to die….

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes cheap rods can last a long time brought my surfcast rod 10 years ago for $70 and its still in good order. The butt has a few cracks as expected but that can easily be fixed.

However all the cheap Sub $50 Surf reels ive owned havent lasted very long. Only got 4 months out of a $35 warehouse reel before the handle broke got a replacement and that broke ofter 7 months. Longest lasting reel ive owned is a Daiwa opus plus which lasted nearly 6 years and only cost $90.

Most of the gear I own cost between $60-120 and its lasted good.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, the cheap reels are typically junk. Cheap rods can be extremely durable, mainly because they are solid fiberglass.

Duckman
    Participant

i found my older warehouse reels not sure of brand the dark red ones, the little clicker thingy has gone but still works fine my new rod and reel is a maxistrike surf 12 with maxistrike ZC7000 reel

yellowfin
    Participant

Think this thread is meant to be about lbg gear not general surf gear. Most my rods are 13 or 14 foot but have an 8ft 24kg rod for sending out balloons. I have 4 okuma axeon reels and for heavier stuff ive got 2 daiwa saltist 50 a sl50shk and a penn fathom 40.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Depending on the beach, standard surf rods can land most species. The stronger 24kg rods are really only needed when fishing from rocks or other structures when the chance of break offs is greatly increased. So I would not really differentiate between standard surf gear and LBG gear.

rayhunter
    Participant

ive got a shimano tyrnos 30 twospeed thats goes on a backbone lbg 24kg rod i also hav a okuma platinum lbg rod with a freespool just for lbg they are both to hard to cast off the beach thats why i hav surf rods

yellowfin
    Participant

Standard LBG gear is a casting rod for catching livebait and a livebait setup. Livebait gear can also be used for large dead baits for sharks.

I have fished LBG almost exclusively for over 20 years. Currently I use any old rod with either a Pro Gear casting reel or an Abu 10,000 CL for catching livebait and anything else small.

MY livebait outfit is a Penn 9/0 Senator on an Omoto LBG stick. I consider that to be marginal for big game sharks. I have used a Penn 16/0 Senator in the past and regularly fished with guys who use 50W and 80W reels (usually Penn Internationals). Even with that gear we tend to lose more big sharks than we land.

I have seen many, many rods broken with people trying to use surfcasters on big fish from land. The rods fold up like a fence staple and put zero pressure on the fish so the owner grabs the rod halfway up and SNAP. As mentioned I have seen dirt cheap rods last the distance and expensive ones break.

More than rods I have seen reels trashed. I’ve seen brand new reels trashed or even blow up (the spool explodes) on a single run. Frequent mishaps are drags fading and even getting fried and gears being stripped. For this reason I don’t normally use eggbeater reels ever, except to catch mullet. I used to use Alvey 651C deep spool reels because you can run 24kg line and still distance cast a big heavy shark bait but I stopped using them after exploding two of them.

rocky

rayhunter
    Participant

the shimano is a proper 24kg lbg rod it not the easyst rod to cast but great for livebaiting off the rocks

yellowfin
    Participant

Shimano be good for Kingfish but a bit light on line quantity for serious sharks and really big rays. Especially on sandy beaches where you balloon or deadbait maybe 800 metres to get past the second sand bar and into the main swim channel. I’ve seen sharks spool a Penn 6/0 on the first run so you need a lot of line. I’m talking real big sharks, not schoolies or seven gills.

Mind you Seven Gillers can get huge and I think a 300kg one from the beach would be a whole new game compared to fighting the usual 50 kg ones which are a bit of a gumboot really even though they look cool.

Some of those school sharks put up a really good fight on light surf gear but I have seen them break rods and reels before. Your LBG casting rod and reel is a tricky one. It’s primary use is to catch kahawai and snapper (or cod and rig) while you wait for the livebait to get munched. The problem comes when something big shows up in the berley and the only rod handy (or rigged up) is your casting rod and there’s no time to grab something else.

That’s why pure LBG fishermen tend to go a bit over the top with the casting rod and reel and why they (me included) learn to cast almost exclusively with overhead reels. If you cast with them enough you can do it just by feel, even in the dark, and not get backlash.

The problem with eggbeaters, apart from line capacity and weak gears… is the drags. They’re too small and don’t last five minutes on a big fish unless you get into really expensive reels. The best drags I’ve used are easily Alveys and it’s simple to modify them yourself with more washers.

rocky

yellowfin
    Participant

Surf rods can land big fish. In places like South Africa they use 13-14ft rods to catch bronzies, bull sharks, great whites etc although the rods they use are purpose built and stiff as, not something you can buy over here. I’ve got two South African rods I got off trademe, one is a Loomis Sharkey 9oz 13ft and the other a Poseidon 5 14ft 7oz. I also have a Sonik SK4 14ft 4-7oz which you can buy in NZ. All these rods are low mount like salmon rods but the reels are Daiwa 50 size (2xSaltists and a Sealine) and a Penn Fathom 40. I’ve still caught a lot of my bigger fish on my trustly old Okuma Solaris and Axeon reel but you can notice the lighter drag and less stopping power with the axeon and it can tend to bend the frame under a lot of pressure. All the reels I use for bigger stuff have 500 meters of 50lb braid backing joined to around 200 meters of 30lb mono which gives plenty of line to play with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.