Lake Ruataniwha canals

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah Glowbugs work great in the winter, I use the tiny orange ones and have had great success. I normally fish them with spinning gear but next time i am down there im gonna try the fly rod.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anyone been up the canals lately? is there any fish in the Tekapo canal following the maintenance over summer?? Looking at heading up soon with some family who have never caught Trout or Salmon before.

yellowfin
    Participant

went to twizel canals last week end no salmon caught but some good big browns 4 over 10 lb

fisherman1
    Participant

twizel canals 2 weeks ago, 2 small salmon, and a decent rainbow trout of 6lbs spin fishing with tobys :grin:

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished at Ohau A today with my mate, Freezing cold all day had major problems with my rod Guides and braid getting iced up. Still a awesome day though with heaps of Salmon caught most between 3-8lb. I got 2 around 4-5lb and my mate got a smaller one and a 7lber. Not sure what the fish eat in Ohau but man they put up a good fight compared to the ones at Tekapo.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Was it very busy down there? I’m thinking of going next weekend.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Pretty quiet really about 5 or 6 other people fishing, Probably something to do with the fact it was still -4 with fog at lunchtime.

yellowfin
    Participant

Tekapo Canal Fishing
    Winter fishing can be as exciting as summer at the Tekapo Canals, near Twizel, inland South Canterbury.
    When I say big fish I mean BIG FISH! These monster wild trout and salmon have been feeding on pellets that drift down stream from the fish farm on the canal. If you want an exciting experience fishing in winter, head to the canals, grab yourself some soft baits and light spinning gear and have yourself a ball. We encourage you to catch and release the trout which may go on to spawn. This gives another angler the chance to catch an enormous rainbow trout. However the salmon don’t breed and will die in a couple of years anyway. They are excellent eating.

Malcolm Bell and the team from The Complete Angler tackle store in Christchurch have pretty much perfected the techniques and tackle required to catch these big fish. Although various methods will catch fish you will be amazed at just how effective these modern soft baits are if fished right. Go to The Complete Angler website and check out the videos and pictures. You will be amazed. Here’s the link (scroll down the page for the videos):
    http://www.completeangler.co.nz

New Fishingmag Website Videos
    Yes it is all videos nowadays. At fishingmag.co.nz we are adding new videos almost every day now. Not all of these are on YouTube! Here’s a sample on our page about catching yellow-eyed mullet:
    https://fishingmag.co.nz/Yellow-eyed-mullet.htm

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished Ohau A today, Lost something big and then got this 4lb Salmon. Lots of people up there today but not a lot caught except for some guy on the other side of the canal getting a fish every cast on a fly rod.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve been down to the canals for a week and caught heaps of salmon. Fished “Ohau A” mostly. I was amazed at just how many people were fishing there! A lot of salmon escaped from the fish farm about six weeks ago.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Sounds like a good trip. Was there many big Trout Caught? or mostly Salmon?

yellowfin
    Participant

Very few trout. Mostly salmon weighing between 3 and 5 pounds. The salmon were short and chunky. This 4lb fish looks the same as yours.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Fished the canals today, Was very quiet until around 3pm then starting catching fish but had to leave at 3.30 so only managed a couple around 2lb.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea it got quiet again after that also stayed till 7pm 1 fish all day put it back was small !

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yeah thats the quietest Ive ever seen it up there, It seemed to improve a bit further up at the top of the farm but around the Pukaki junction was dead. The average size of the few fish that I did see caught was much smaller too averaging around only 2lb.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.