Lake Ruataniwha canals

Posted By fishsnatcher On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 75 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  fishsnatcher 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Watched my mate catch a 22 pound salmon this morning out of the Ohau B canal it was huge.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Are those big Salmon good eating??
    The big Trout (20lb+) out of there don’t taste the best way to oily.

yellowfin
    Participant

Those big salmon taste just as good as the smaller ones aye. I got a 17 pounder a while back and it tasted awesome.

yellowfin
    Participant

a few months back the salmon in Ohau B didn’t hit much past 10-12lb, now they are hitting 20+, damn I cant wait to go back!

yellowfin
    Participant

Ohau B is where its at. Most of the talk I have heard recently is that the fish have gone but we went down there and had a blast. The canals were flowing rather slow so we were using 1/16 ounce jig heads so most of the takes we were getting were mid water or not far under the surface. The bait that was doing the trick was pearl silver 3 inch. I cant wait to go back there.

troutfishernz
    Participant

I dont normally fish the Ohau canals as the Tekapo canal is closer, But if the Salmon are that big it might be worth going the extra distance, Ive never seen salmon much bigger than 6lb from the Tekapo canal.

Anonymous

I fished “the bowl” and the farm right by the road mid October. I was with my parents so couldn’t stay all day but caught two small (2lb, 4lb) salmon on a CD-7 Rapala. Watched as two people on either side of me hauled in 5lb and 6lb fish on shrimp baits. Seems like it’s going good up there.

Does anyone know about the impending canal closure and rebuild? Is it going to affect the farms, or more importantly, the fishing?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Warburto

yellowfin
    Participant

I witnessed a monster get caught today at ohau b. it was on the otherside so I never got a close look, but from what I could see the thing would have been well over 30lb. I heard them say it broke the scales and it only read a high as 32 before breaking. I’m really curious to find out more, I really hope some pictures surface.

I managed to catch a 15lb Salmon and my mate caught a 10 and a 5lb salmon. I also lost a much bigger Salmon and caught 2x 4lb brownies trout. all in all, a good day.

yellowfin
    Participant

went to the canals today caught nothing sad

but the bloke just down from us caught a 20.4kg salmon it was huge

marsh03
    Participant

Fished at ohau b a couple of evenings over easter, caught 3 salmon around 5lb and my brother got an 11lb salmon. Lost a few other nice fish. Plenty of fish rising just after sundown, quite fun to watch

kite fisherman
    Participant

im heading down in a couple of weeks time.which side of the lake did you fish and were you using soft baits?

marsh03
    Participant

Was fishing right behind the salmon farm using softbaits. Lots of people using spinners but softbaits seem to work best for me

yellowfin
    Participant

a few of my friends have been getting some good salmon recently, one was 15lb gutted. I noticed both had put on some colour and had been dropping eggs, so glowbug flys will be a good option right now too.

the big trout seem to go for them too :)

marsh03
    Participant

Thanks Jezza, good info. I will try glowbugs next time im down there

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 76 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members