Lake Opuha

Posted By marsh03 On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  troutfishernz 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

marsh03
    Participant

Hi, I’m heading to Lake Opuha in south Canterbury in a couple of weeks. Never fished there before, i understand that the lake was dried up last summer. Does anyone have any experience/knowledge about fishing here they would be willing to share? I heard that the lake was full again now but not sure what the effect of it drying up last year will of had on the fishing for this year?

Thanks

troutfishernz
    Participant

old topic Have fished Opuha a couple of times this season the fish are still there but in poor condition, sadly the lake is already starting get low again after no significant rain in 2 years.

yellowfin
    Participant

Have you a photograph of one of the better fish you have taken in Lake Opuha, or indeed of the lake itself?

troutfishernz
    Participant

been up to lake Opuha today pretty quiet, I only caught one brown around 2lb
    mate got a fat rainbow around 4lb with flesh red salmon.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

I’ve never fished at Lake Opuha. But I have been close to it several times recently. I’ll have to have a look and a few casts. I checked out Lake Alexandrina about two months ago. It was closed to fishing but it was interesting have a look around all the same. Some very cool old baches or cribs there. Looks like most of the fishing is done from dinghies.

troutfishernz
    Participant

fished lake opuha again today as all rivers are in flood, Nothing big caught but some real fat fish around got 3 in hour all around 2-2.5lb but shaped like footballs and bright silver

troutfishernz
    Participant

went up to lake Opuha last week lake level has dropped at least 3m in the last month fishing was slow but seen some nice fish cruising taking flies but not interested in spinners. still a few skinny fish around though with the 3 browns me a mate caught all in average to poor condition.

photo below shows the how skinny the fish are that was the best conditioned fish out the 3 we caught.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

The fish in the picture does look a bit skinny. Can’t be enough food for them in Lake Opuha perhaps.

troutfishernz
    Participant

must just be the browns in average/poor condition, as I got 2 fat rainbows this morning at Opuha, both 2.5lb with red flesh. lots of browns feeding on the surface near the dam but not interested in spinners.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

They are two very good looking rainbows. With bright red flesh, they should be good eating. If Lake Opua is shallow it could be heating up which may be affecting the condition factor of the browns to a greater degree. Optimum water temperatures for the Rainbow and Brown Trout are 10-22°C and 4-19°C respectively. Even if the water has cooled over the past month or so, if it was too hot for them earlier they could have lost condition as a result.

troutfishernz
    Participant

first Time at Lake Ophua this season, Slow fishing today with only 1 rainbow around 2lb caught between 3 of us didn’t see many fish rising or any along the edges..

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

A slow start maybe. Sometimes they are there but just not biting.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes im sure they where there, Lake Opuha has a quite high population of Trout. Was a easterly/southeasterly wind blowing from mid morning which seems slow the fishing down on most stillwaters/lakes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members