Kayak Fishing Canterbury

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

You guys should consider north-west Nelson / golden bay for a trip some stage….. The whole area is basically neat.

During a southerly the western side is often calm, dunno what golden bay would be like during a Norwester…. Lots of different fishing options.

Main downside is the 7+ hour drive…. Even takes me 3hrs from Blenheim :|

Yakkaman
    Participant

We had a good turn out on Thursday night 16 out of the 20 members not bad for only four of us a year ago, thx for coming along Aaron and Malcolm hope you enjoyed the discussions and chat afterwards.
    I got feed back from Greymouth fishing club and they do have a kayak section so here’s too a few comps and outings with this club.
    Will follow up with a ph call and see whats happening over winter and up and coming events over next summer.

A special thx to Dana from Paddlerzone for allowing us to utilise her store for meetings!!!

Cheers all

Doug Y

Next meeting 4th June 09 6pm
    7 Pilgrim Pl
    Site directions http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com

Yakkaman
    Participant

Wind is bloody enoying was out at black rock saturday heaps of bait fish spoke to a couple of guys who had caught some butter fish on worms I only caught mullett, tried livie no kingies in close but my mate rekkons he saw a fin goes past him amongst the kelp who knows

come on Keep trying bring on the kingies!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

ha! caught ya doug!. hope weather gonna be ok for a kingi hunt next weekend.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Mate get rid of the wind I need to fish!!!

Yakkaman
    Participant

Meting at Paddlerzone Thursday 5th August 2010.

Guest speaker Shamus from North Island discussing 35yrs of kayak fishing Johnson kayaks sponsors normally $35 per person

[b:3qhezdau]FREE JUST BRING A CHAIR[/b:3qhezdau]

Cheers,
    Doug Yaxley

Yakkaman
    Participant
    Johnson Outdoors
    ( Designers of the Ocean Kayak Prowler Range & others)

Presents:

New Zealand’s
    Kayak Fishing Guru
    SHAMUS
    Canterbury Kayak Fishing Club

6:00 pm, Thursday 5th August
    at
    PaddlerZone – FREE entry
    Everyone welcome – Bring a chair
    2-7 Pilgrim Place, Christchurch ( see http://www.paddlerzone.co.nz for a map )

There are two names that are known in all the Kiwi Kayak Fishing arenas, two people that do the most for the sport of kayak fishing in New Zealand – from holding seminars to running competitions and other events to television shows about kayak fishing, to simply winning event after event after event. They use and test the latest and greatest gear available – so they know if it works from first hand experience. Shamus is one of those two people.

Shamus is well known on the Kayak Fishing Circuit for his exploits over the last 14 years and his background as an entertainer, makes for pretty interesting discussions.
    Come and listen to his techniques and tips and pick his brains.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have never heard of Shamus. Would of thought Stephen Tapp and Herb Spannagl would be the two most known.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Correct Stephen and Herb are well known fishermen, Shamus and Stephen are best mates and have fished together over many years. They were both working within Johnson kayaks until Stephen moved to viking kayaks.

Shamus won the overall comp at the Taranaki challenge and just recently won a fishing comp fishing from the Ocean Torque.

He is based in Northland and also owns a kayak store which stocks all major brands.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Getting any good tackle for your birthday in 2 weeks Yakka? 8)

Yakkaman
    Participant

fishsnatcher

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Maybe this Christmas, I’ll let you know. Was in Wanaka last year, only managed 2 rainbows, good fish though. Plenty of nice spots for a kayak round there :D
    If I do see you up twizel way, we’ll have to catch up for a fish, gives me a good excuse to show you my amazing new fly fishing skills :razz:

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.