Kayak Fishing Canterbury

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Yakkaman
    Participant

If you are interested in fishing from a kayak then give it a go there is currently 16 of us based in ChCh and we meet every month next meeting Thursday 5 November 08.

http://canterburykayakfishingclub.weebly.com

We fish fresh water and salt from Kaikoura to banks penisular one of our members went out on Friday at Te oka bay caught red cod,blue cod and trumpeter outside the bay off the reef, well done Ollie good catch

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Thanks for the post Yakkaman.

I don’t have a Kayak but a boat I have to tow round on a trailer. Could only launch at Akaroa which is the closest spot to Te Oka, spose that’s an advantage of a kayak!

I could motor round from Akaroa to Te Oka bay but the swell rarely seems favorable, always pumping in from the south. A 1 metre swell seems the best I could hope for at times which would be fine. Interesting report re the trumpeter and blue cod, maybe there are spots close to Bank’s Peninsula worth fishing. I had this idea in my head it wasn’t worth trying anywhere in close, maybe I’ll have to talk to some people and give it a good go sometime.

I went out to the Akaroa heads and had a fish as Shark_Tale (steve) mentioned on another thread, wasn’t much on offer though. Just dogfish, some smallish red cod. And two tiny blue cod. Hmmm….

Cheers
    Aaron

Yakkaman
    Participant

Have you tried going to the right oonce you come out of the heads at Akaroa, there has been alot of trumpeter caught and some teraki as well.
    Check out Linz.co.nz there mariner link look nup topography it gives you maps of the reefs and dephs around NZ.

If we can catch fish from our kayaks then you will breeze in.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Trumpeter and Teraki? That sounds pretty cool, no I’ve only been out there once. Just kept getting heaps of dogfish! However if you did get onto a rocky bottom then different species would show up but little wrasse weren’t exactly desirable.

I’ve got a LINZ map of Bank’s Peninsula, it’s shows the depths but reefs? I tried navigating on that link you gave me, I’ve found maps of Bank’s Peninsula with some depths but I can’t see reefs. Could you point it out for me? A link perhaps?

Thanks heaps!

It’s good that the cost of petrol is going down cos my boat suck gas like no tomorrow! 25 to 30 Litres an hour, gee! That’s another advantage of a Kayak! Wont be long till I’m buying one! lol, once I’ve paid off the remainder of the boat which shouldn’t be too long haha. Would be interesting to come along to one of your meetings perhaps.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

The LINZ maps dont carry as much information as the official charts.
    Have a look for places where the contours rise sharply.

Yakkaman
    Participant

i’m looking at fishing Motonau beach or heading to Kaikoura show weekend either a day trip or over nighter anyone going this direction?

Yakkaman
    Participant

Two of us went out to the Island at Motonau was a fantastic day caught heaps of blue cod paddle home was a bit hairy tho.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Goobie i hit the Waimak yesterday got a lot of little kys and some mullet went on the wrong tide should have been out for the incoming.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ll have to use a little sabiki rig on one of my rods next time, probably would’ve caught a few mullet at the start if I was using smaller hooks. I think you probably need your bait right on the riverbed to get flounder, maybe a sabiki rig with various small baits and a sinker on each end to keep all of the hooks on the bottom could be worth a try.
    I’ve got a bait pump, so I can get ghost shrimps as well for a good bait, now if only I could put them on the hook so that they don’t die so quickly… Might go there this weekend if the sea conditions are too rough. Some of the guys might be down at the pier one night this weekend too.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Hey Googie thats what i was looking for in tackle box i had a good little lumo shrimp rig gets nailed everytime i wouldn;t have needed to borrow some of your bonito, however big difference when i did.
    Can’t believe we have the whole river to ourselves for fishing , by the way dorks on the jetski’s 5 knots when passing other vessells oh thats right they can’t read.

Ps by the way i’m still laughing let me know and i’ll take a pic

yellowfin
    Participant

Take a pic of what? :)

Where’d you get the little shrimp rig from? I find that most of the softbaits you can get are too big for a lot of situations, the smallest I’ve found so far are the two inch gulp minnow grubs.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I got heaps of very small ones, I can give you a few next time we meet in Kaikoura. Not really good for much IMO.

Yakkaman
    Participant

Oops sorry booger i got them from kmart set of five about 1-2inch’s long cost bout $5.00
    nailed everytime, found the packet kilwell lumo shrimp size 4 what you do is cast them out with a light sinker retrieve slowly couple of turns on the reel at a time then smack.I want to use them out on the ocean see what happens.

Yakkaman
    Participant

A group of us heading to Kaikoura 25th May for the weekend,not sure if this suits your schedule Aaron?
    Anyone keen would be a great way to get a feed and check out yak fishing at the same time.

Canoe and kayak hire $30 pick up on Friday night and return Monday not a bad deal (cheapest in town)

Yakkaman
    Participant

Check the Fishing paper out there is an article and some photo’s of our club, they even published and article i wrote.

The latest copy is out now and it is free!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.