KARAMEA

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys just a quickie anyone had much experience fishing karamea…i know you can get snapz ky rig and carrots there but what kinda methods would use?? and any advice for that area would be good

Miliwolf
    Participant

Long, probably shallow sand Surf Beaches. Being the WestCoast it is often rough. When I fished it the sea was big and I had to make long casts to get into water stable enough so the wave action would not continue washing up my break out sinker. I was there for over 4 days and only 1 day was the sea calm enough for surfcasting.

Being a sand beach rather then stone, you could get away with thinner line which would give extra casting distance. There is a couple of rocky points (Fishermans point near scotts beach) further to the north, it requires a easy 30-40 minute walk down the start of the hephy, there is one small hill.

The Karamea river mouth is quite a walk from the car park….

From what I have seen I would rate Gentle Annie above Karamea, mainly because the river mouth is only a 1 minute walk from the campground.

I also would rate golden bay, tasman bay and the sounds over the westcoast beaches. Mainly because the sea is much calmer and it is safe to swim off many of the beaches.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea fished gentle annie many many many times i dunno how many times and caught loads of fish but though about over summer giving karamea a bash.. over new years just trying to plan where im going to book in time…i also know that fishing some of the esturys by the river can produce flounder which are fun on a rod and kaiwhai also alot of freshwater in the area… guess ill just try my normal methods that i tried at gentle annie that produced many fish

Miliwolf
    Participant

The cabins (atleast in the off season) were nice and cheap at the Karamea campground, Around 75% cheaper then Kaikoura. Because the cabins were so reasonable I decided to book one instead of pitching my tent. The campground has excellent access to the lagoons and you can get to the river mouth at low tide by crossing the lagoon. I was there during the Autumn so not many holiday makers around and the peak of the fishing was during the summer months.

There is also DOC camping at the start of the Hephy track, Something like $5 a night for a tent site.

The free caves in the National Park are worth a look, the guided cave tour was not worth the price. Just lacked the since of adventure and exploration for me.

I want to go back to Karamea, but it is not at the top of my list. If I had the whole of summer off work I would end up there sooner or later.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea thats what we plannin bookin at the camp ground tent sites about 8 of them 10 bucks a night. over new years cause all of marlgborough area was booked thatwe tried..mainly drining but might try get a fish in if the sea conditions permit.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Would be cool to check out Karamea over the Summer. I was there towards autumn so not many holiday makers. If I had time off work over the summer months I would check out such places.

There are plenty of DOC campgrounds around Marlb which would have spots available over Summer. Not the best amenities through.

St_Paul
    Participant

used to be a good one at tom caines bay in port underwood but alas has now been closed…

Miliwolf
    Participant

You can still camp at Robin Hood and Whites Bay in port underwood. The fishing has never beent hat flash in port underwood anyway, unless you get onto the pelagic which sometimes visit during the summer.

There is good moki and butterfish spearfishing to be had (and maybe shore fishing if you put in the effort) but the visibility is normally poor.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.