Kaikouria Surfcasting compeition.

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Photo of fish in the bin taken about half way through the Kaikoura Lions Surfcasting Contest held yesterday 11 Jan 2009. There is a very good moki on the left and a ray on the top. I think the rig was taken at about 12.30pm in the middle of the beach. Have taken more pics at the contest and will post on the site tonight. I think a lot of people were casting out their gear and just leaving it there too long until it got buried. One guy I spoke to lost 10 sinkers! :)

yellowfin
    Participant

when fishing most locations i usually ry to heck my bait every 15min or so and usually change it then as well. lately fishing around amberley and birdlings ya hav tocheck it more often due to huge numbers of crabs. during the amberley comp we were trying to check and rebait every 20min

Miliwolf
    Participant

I did not lose a single sinker, I was using 5 1/4 and 6oz BOS so they had quite a bit of grip and most of the time I casted behind the first wave into gentler water. I mainly used them because I left all my 4oz sinkers at home but they were probably needed towards the end of the day.

Can not see my wrasse in that photo :( :( :( :( :( , probably right at the bottom. Was one of the first fish caught on the day.

Miliwolf
    Participant

So who is planning to fish the Kaikoura comp this summer… Only a month or so away now

Looks like High tide is in the middle of the day which should be more productive then the previous years.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

I’d hate to think what the giant pus bag is at the top of the pic….. looks like a bloated blind eel!! :shock:
    Gotta say though, there must have been some better pics from the contest than a sandy mess in someone’s bin.
    Fish are beautiful things to photograph and this is a sort of “promotional” shot isn’t it???
    Got any better one’s Alan?

Miliwolf
    Participant

The bloat bag is the under side of the skates wing, it is a shame how the fish go to waste in that contest. Luckily only a handful are caught more years.

Here are a few more pics

https://fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting … ontest.htm

fishforpot
    Participant

Only fished it twice , daughter and I have taken 2nd prize on both trips ..very dubiously I must add ………very strange how the winning fish came in after close of the comp …

I hate to wave goodbye to nice eating fish , half grow kahawai argh ..not to mention 2 lovely gurnard on the first trip ……and blue cod ….christ ….

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I assume it would be on the second weekend of January…

Viewing 9 posts - 76 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.