Kaikouria Surfcasting compeition.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Nothing wrong with the swell, more worried about the chop height and wave frequency. Would be like fishing clifford bay during a bad norwester I reckon. But should be fishable. Just need warm clothing and water.

Just about to head to picton to catch a few bait fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

good luck to all you guys entering the comp tomorrow. i will be doing my part down here inthe amberley one

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just gotten back from the comp.

The weather was pleasant to my surprise. The sea was calm but with increasingly large swells.

Firstly a overview, the fishing was slow for everyone. Rays took out the main prizes, then a selection of doggies, Red Cod, Moki and KY were also caught. In total around 15 fish were caught I believe.

In my opinion the catch of the day was a Gurnard. Should of been given a bonus prize for being the only eatable fish caught all day, It was caught by a junior angler I believe.

I managed a small wrasse which was worth $50.00, and lost what I think was a KY in the surf. Something was hiting my Crab baits hard and I quickly run low on them…

The guy who caught the Moki put my number down on his fish :roll: (could of gotten 3rd or 4th prize for free) , Knew it was not my fish so told the person giving out the prizes and it was given to the correct angler in the end.

In all a nice day, just need to refine my tactics for next time.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea at amberly it was slow as well a 65cm school shark i thinkwon then mainly mullet got the other prizes

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea i was down at the comp today too, caught up with mili. The gurnard that was caught was a rather fine specimen, i was talking to the boy at the time he caught and reeled it in it weighed 1.55kg not bad at all (crayfish was the bait), there were all up 16 fish caught and this boy caught three of them a big mullet, a good kahawai and the Gurnard, they were fishing the southernmost point of the comp and i was right in front of the helipad.
    On the other side of me there was a nice stingray caught which got second place (i help get it out of the surf for the guy who was reeling it in (squid was the bait).
    I only managed one small Kahawai (800grams), the interesting thing being that there were several fish caught all at the same time and then basically nothing for the rest of the day down that end of the beach. Firstly was the gurnard then i pulled in the small kahawai, then another kahawai just up the beach at the same time the stingray was being delt to; all this happening within five minutes at 11.35am. Interesting part here is it was right on the lowtide and also going by the bite time book which had it at approx 11.40 am so there maybe something to it or just pure coincidence.
    Interesting to see there were two moki caught and mili caught that wrasse, must show theres some rocks near by there somewhere, just need to pinpoint where for future reference. There were several Rig caught during the day most going to junior members and i think more to the sawmill end. At this end too there were some skates/stinrays getting hooked up and lost, one guy thought one for over an hour before the tackle finally broke in the breakers.

Got rather wet at the end of the day and had to retrieve both my rods from the surf when a big ground swell swept way up the beach and caught us all out and i was scrambling to get all my other stuff before it headed seawards too so that was a bit of a bugger but entertaining all the same no harm done luckily.

Miliwolf
    Participant

According to the marine charts there is a reef thing which ends near where I was fishing. I was hoping to fish the edge of the ‘reef’ and the start of the surf. I might of been 100m out either direction. I caught a wrasse there last competition so was targeting them. Was quite disappointed that I only caught one. Although considering only 16 fish were caught all day I can,t complain to much.

One little wrasse died today purely due to the fishing competition. Did you get the fish back? I could not care less about the wrasse so headed straight to the shark beaches.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I also snapped my crimping pliers :mrgreen:

PierMaster
    Participant

Hey HLS you were fishing right next to me and my mates, my friend tony is the one that got 2nd with the stingray and my other mate andrew caught a red cod , Im the one that got a small kahawai and 2 small schoolies.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

well we were all in the same area then as mili was just north of you guys, so i guess you were the one going to help to get the stingray out of the surf to, i decided to help out as didnt want to see it getting lost as it look to be a good fish as your mate knew by the weight on the line, didnt recognize you. And you probably seen the scramble i had to make to collect all my gear out of the surf before it went east with the sea did it look a little amusing :razz:
    The only other fish i no of from that end for the rest of that day was from one of the woman that moved in between us and that was a small schoolie too.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

Ironic how we all basically choose the same section of the beach.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have caught a moki off the beach there infront of the rail way station before. was fishing near a big pi9le of kelp which was pratically in the middle of the beach no rocks or anything and was casting just a few metres tothe side of it and i got a moki think from memory it was caught on a prawn scallop combo

PierMaster
    Participant

Yeah them waves got pretty intense!

I ended up getting 3 prizes
    $50 @ a interior desgin place
    $40 @ encouter cafe’
    A screwdriver and socket set

mate that got the red cod got a trip for 2 to see the dolphins

and mate that got stingray got $300

Miliwolf
    Participant

The prize for my small wrasse was $50 cash. I wonder how they decided which fish got which prize.

Saw the third place prize, and I believe it was a dolphin flight or similar.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Well mine for the 800gram kahawai was a $50 voucher that was of no use to me as it was for vehicle servicing in kaikoura so i gave it back to them to give to someone who could use it, nature of the game.
    with prizes like that it sort of makes it worth while sitting it out for the whole day.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.