Kaikouria Surfcasting compeition.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I received this email from the Kaikoura I-site yesterday: “We have gone into the Kaikoura District Council website and it says the fishing contest is 11th January in brackets to be confirmed. There is also the Pier Hotel fishing contest which runs from Boxing Day until 4th January with prizes daily. Reporting to the Pier Hotel”
    Yellowfin :)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

This question(s) is more for those who have fished it in the past.

Would anyone have any info on what the basic rules for the comp is, when it starts and finishes, or does any one have any contact details of someone to get hold of regarding this competition and its rules, Thanks.

Very interested in going down and fishing this comp but not before i find out more about it first.
    Cheers for any help any one can give.

PierMaster
    Participant

Competition usually runs from 9am -3pm
    1 rod per entry
    $15 entry Adult( I think….not sure cant remember :P)

thats was last years

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Ok cheers piermaster.
    Guess il find the rules out when if i make it down there.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Just been down to Kaikoura and I can confirm it is on the 11th this year.

Edit: Can I purchase two entires and use two rods?

yellowfin
    Participant

I paid for two rods last year, wasn’t worth it though. The competition was on the outgoing tide, nobody near me caught anything except sea lice.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I caught a small Ky and a wrasse last year, I used the KY for bait and released the wrasse :evil: . A old guy next to me caught a modest rig and maybe another shark. Saw a decent size shark getting transported from around the railway station end.

I had two rods on the beach with me, but was only using one at a time. When I wanted to change bait/rig I would simply bait the second rod up, wind in the first rod. Cast out the second, Also if the line broke I could cast the second rod out instantly without losing any time changing knots ect.

Would try and pay for two or three rods this year :)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

The long range forecast for the sunday of the comp is starting to look quite awful with strong southeast changing noreast so it could be a massive swell on that part of the beach, iv never fished down there so wouldnt know really, but from the foreast it could be a challenging comp unless you have decent gear.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, it could get interesting. I have seen big swells along that section even on relatively calm days.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Registration starts at 8.30am, fishing commences at 9am, one rod per entry, so this basically means pay two entrys to fish two rods and more so on (stand to be corrected). Biggest fish apparently is 750 bucks.

The forecast is for southerlys turning easterly with upto 2m wave front on shore so could be interesting regarding gear and fishing possibilitys.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, should be fun. The swellmap forecast is not that bad, but the wind charts do show a 20knot wind which should be blowing right into the beach. Would probably fish two rods, was going to get braid spooled onto my emblem pro but decided the sea could be a bit tough for nice new line.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Swellmap forecast is getting worst.

Might be a tough day on the beach, might reduce the number competing a bit I suspect.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yip i think youre right there, it might mean it’ll just be the serious surf fishos that have a go im heading down there so will be interesting and cold too.
    I think those that just fling a 12foot rod around with no bos sinkers will struggle.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I am only going to fish my two longer rods.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Just had a look at the forecasts and its on the improve the predicted swell is less as to the wind strength, guess il find out when i get down there tonight.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.