Kaikoura Wharf open Yet??

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Guys

Anyone know if the wharf is open yet??

Or if its even going to be possible to fish from it when it is finished??

Me and a mate have been thinking of making a trip. but dont wanna make the 2 hour drive for nothing..

cheers for any info

Miliwolf
    Participant

When I was there a week or two back it was still closed, but they have now started to build the replacement wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

hmm they’re taking their time.. :(

I guess the fish wont be back immediately after pile driving etc anyway..

Miliwolf
    Participant

The fish would be back the moment the ramming ends, all of the diving would stir up the sea floor which might even reveal tasty little things for them to eat.

I read a newspaper article that said the wharf was going to be finsished by the start of Summer :roll:

gunnercoops
    Participant

Last week I saw it was closed, although people were fishing from a smaller jetty towards the seal colony. I have heard that when divers went down to do whatever under the jetty they found a heap of good sized crays living there…urban myth?
    Has anyone here fished Goose bay in recent times? Is it any good…looks a great place for a fish.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d believe there being crayfish under there.. I found crayfish under one of the akaroa wharfs a few years back., I used to go down there and pick up all the fishing gear people lost over the side. :grin:

And when I was in kaikoura a couple of weeks ago. I nabbed a cray in less than a metre of water.

St_Paul
    Participant

still closed was down there yesterday.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yes there are Crayfish living there, and they are protected! Booger and I once talked to someone who use to pot for them before the ‘reserve’ was put in place.

At the moment you are only allowed to line fish off the wharf and recreational diving in the area is not permitted. So the Crays are quite safe.

One theory which I have heard is that when the commercial cray fishers return to the wharf they would throw back any below legal size, this practice would probably have ended by now. Have heard several stories of healthy Cray populations beneath the wharf in Picton for the same reason.

The little wharf towards the Seal colony is called the Old Wharf, the wharf currently under construction is the new wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

Speaking of crays, a guy told me there was a lot of crays under the Bluff wharf.

yellowfin
    Participant

Was in Kaiks weekend just gone, wharf still closed.

yellowfin
    Participant

GMAN2907

St_Paul
    Participant

apparently they have been trying to drill to place pylons and the rock is like 50 time harder than they thought. keeps chewing out drill heads. will be interesting to see when it does end up being finished.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.