Kaikoura Coast Surfcasting

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Has anyone done much surfcasting along the Kaikoura coast over the colder months? If so what have you caught, or which fish would you expect to catch? :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

dogs,skate,congers,kahawai at times..used to be really good for big fat red cod but it seems to have suffered the same fate as the canterbury fishery(to much commercial pressure and recreational thrashing of the same areas thanks to social media sites)i used to go up specificaly for cod over winter but dont bother now.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that info. From the road it looks like there are some good looking spots to fish. The wharf fishes well at night but you really do need the tide to be in. I’m going to try a few of the more out-of-the-way spots soon and will let you know how I get on. :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

thats the way allan..if your after big reds raw and especialy cooked prawns are super effective and it cuts the dogfish bycatch down ten fold.. :wink:

Duckman
    Participant

was there over the weekend and have to say was not much around, few doggies and skate

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members