kahawai

Posted By troutfishernz On With 0 Comments

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

troutfishernz
    Participant

plenty of Kahawai at the rangitata mouth today, small lures and softbaits working better than large salmon style ticers..

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Kahawai at the Waimakariri River Mouth
    Heaps of kahawai at the mouth of the Waimakariri River at present. Plenty being caught on bait as well as spinners, I even hooked two on a zed spinner while trying for salmon. Great fun on light spinning gear. A small 19gram silver jig is the best lure to use. The best kahawai fishing at the Waimakariri River mouth is on the bottom half of the out-going tide. Try to fish as far down towards the breakers as safety will permit. You really need waders to fish in the waist-deep water. I hooked and released 14 the other night. We had a ball. Highly recommended.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Good numbers of Kahawai at The Orari river mouth today was after Searun Trout but ended up Only catching Kahawai..

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Kahawai are always good fun. That’s good to see.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Yes and they taste pretty good too if properly looked after, Normally don’t get them this early in the season down here, maybe with all the floods over winter and sustained higher flows they have been attracted in by the freshwater?

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Have to agree with you on that. I actually quite like kahawai. Bleed them as soon as you catch them and cut off the dark meat close to the skin. They are excellent eating I reckon. Kahawai are great fun on light tackle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members