Is this Kaikoura old wharf?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Just read this article on the wharf in Kaikoura. It kind of looks different to me… The crane is in the wrong place and I can not remember the L shaped bend at the end…

Is it a old photo and the wharf has been modifed since?

is there two wharfs?

Do I have a bad memory?

or is it two photos incorrectly ‘spliced together’?

https://fishingmag.co.nz/surfcasting … f-spot.htm

Edit: My brain just clicked and I remembered the bend in the wharf at the end. Pointless thread now. Must be a sign that It has been to long since my last trip down there.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yip there are two wharfs but im unsure of the current state of it.This one pictured I believe is the NEW wharf and the one just around the corner heading toward the seal colony is the OLD one I think.I cant remember what the old one is like but when I was fishing the the new one last time a local told me that the old one was known to produce some good moki over high tide…..maybe he just wanted me to move lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think you might be right, they call i the “New Wharf” but it is a old wharf. I believe the ‘old’ wharf is made out of concrete?

There is also a very new wharf over near the boat ramp. Must get back down there for a weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

thats def the new … the old one is really crappy….. but does look to hav potential to have some good fish off it at times although id rather fish the new one

Sevengillz
    Participant

yeah definatly.The “new” wharf has to be one of the best wharfs for fishing off on this coast.Although not hell of alot of desirable species get caught there,its so big and can accomodate alot of fishers.Its fairly deep and the light is a bonus plus you dont get a hell of alot of boats coming up there when youre fishin,maybe the odd cray boat but they dont stay for long.
    Its one of my favourite wharfs being a close second behind the french pass one.Location is the best thing about the French pass wharf with the real only down point being the traffic (boat and human) during the holidays.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea there are some okish species eg moki blue cod butterfish and tara..but then the lesser dedirable bnded wrasee red cod congers hag fish and prob a few others ive missed

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have you caught anything desirable from the frenchpass wharf?

In general If I have the choice I fish from the beach /rocks rather then a wharf.

Sevengillz
    Participant

yip,a pair of pannies some good Kahawai and my mate got a good gurnard there and this was all on our last trip.The first two trips yeilded nothing but considering they were in miserable southerlies it didnt suprise me.
    Only done one trip last summer so plan on doin a cupla 3 this time round.
    Yeah I prefer the rocks or beach too but sometimes its nice to be able to park up on a jetty with the deck chairs and not havin to worry about gettin wasted over by the sun then having to do a climb or long walk back to the wagon.Also if the missuses come along then we dont get nagged at for walkin for miles or whatever.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.