how to catch salmon

Posted By hiwamk On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 36 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  hiwamk 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Burkefish. Saw that a new version of salmon fever is out, doh don’t have cash for that after forking out on buying my own rod & reel. Nothing fancy just cheaper than most but better than using my mates hand me down trout rod. I went for a walk around rakaia river SH1 bridge about 2kms each side trying to spot these ‘salmon holes’ but wasn’t really sure if i could spot any, tried rakaia since its mostly the river shown on youtube vids.
    I wanna try something closer to chch, anyone give some advice on fishing the middle reaches of Waimak?

burkefish
    Participant

in the last season more salmon were taken in the waimak than the Rakaia. to fish middle reaches of the mak you just basically drive along the stop bank on the north side and go in at of the numbered groynes looking for suitable water when you find a good area you then have a reference point for your next visit. if you don’t mind fishing where other people do, below the railway bridge produced a lot of fish last year but fishing at night can get crowded as the searunners are there currently. macintoshes is always good if you have limited time.

yellowfin
    Participant

Is the railway bridge the Main North road bridge cuz I do see some people under that when I was driving home from Rangiora?
    Don’t really like Macs cuz its a snag fest, thats how i know im fishing the bottom.

yellowfin
    Participant

if your always getting snags at macintoshes, then your fishing it wrong or your lures are too heavy so go lighter. compared to the Rakaia and all other rivers you do not need to fish the bottom at mackintoshes, the fish are seldom on the bottom. once you get into the river properly then start fishing the bottom. ive witnessed salmon caught damn near on the surface at macintoshes rocks and at the kaiapoi mouth before

the kaiapoi mouth is different again, 14 grams up there is the heaviest I go

snake
    Participant

FishOn

burkefish
    Participant

from my experience ‘fishing the bottom ‘ is a bit of an ‘old mans’ tale. I never fish the bottom and therefore don’t get as many snags. at macintoshs its a sandy bottom and fish really don’t like sand or mud in their gills. have lost count of how many fish I have caught at the top of the water column. another ‘old mans’ tale is that you can’t catch a porpoising fish again I have targeted and caught them. fishing the gut, the ‘experts’ say fish the bottom and the edges. often if you see the flow coming in both sides at top you will have an area of soft water down the middle where the two meet and salmon mostly take the soft option as they want to conserve their energy they will travel up the middle. another thing about gut fishing is to observe how fast the flow is and if you see stones moving with the current fish up in the water column as no fish wants to be hit on the nose by moving rocks. the main thing is to observe is where the fish are, the best way is to look for fish sign ie porpoising fish ,when you see one keep watching if you see another in the same area target the area as salmon mostly follow a path of lest resistance up the river.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a drive on the waimak river stop bank road and there was a gate stopping me going further up river just beside the dirtbike track. It’s about 2-3 Kms from the SH1 bridge heading to the gorge, didn’t have a closer look as it was about 9.20pm but do I need a key to access it? or can I just drive through. Don’t think I saw any holes between there

yellowfin
    Participant

I think at this stage that gate is locked all the time. Head up downs rd off sth eyre rd which allows you to access more upriver water.

yellowfin
    Participant

haven’t been out for awhile but hope to have a look at banana hole for a few casts, is banana hole that area where the 2 car parks are or that whole stretch of water?

burkefish
    Participant

the whole stretch.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hey Burkefish, I saw that someone had caught a fish at macks this morning. I was thinking it wasn’t a day for it with all that rain otherwise I may have had a look. Any caught on the rocks? Also when people say point, is that where the kaiapoi hits the mack?
    I’ve brought me some cheapish waders from china as a gamble but paid off and has made fishing alot nicer when your not cold & have wet feet all the time.

burkefish
    Participant

rain was local doesn’t affect the mak. the rocks are currently catching the majority of fish the point is the south side of the kaiapoi mouth, about a 3km walk down from kaiapoi and having waders there gives you a good advantage in all tides and as you say keep you warm and dry.

yellowfin
    Participant

These so called Salmon exist right haha cuz im losing faith, still stuck on zero, been to some of the access points in lower rakaia to look for good water but gets frustrating when your access is blocked by water you can’t wader pass. So jealous of the peeps with jet boats, should start saving or they should lower the price on those jet kayaks. Will take a break with work coming up on the weekends

yellowfin
    Participant

Timfish: I was on [b:3s6si9ry]zero[/b:3s6si9ry] (except for a land locked Lake Coleridge salmon of about 1kg and a Marlborough Sounds farm escapee of about 1.5kg) for over 25 years! Not all years fished, but in total, well over 200 trips to the Waimak (mainly the mouth, but some upstream) and a few to the Rakaia and other rivers. The drought ended Saturday week ago when I got a 5kg fish from the Rakaia mouth, and then on Saturday just gone, got my limit bag in a couple of hours at the Rakaia mouth. 25+ years = zero, less than 1 week = 3 fish!

John (aka pfe92nz)

burkefish
    Participant

well done pfe92nz the pressure is off except at the beginning of each season the first fish always seems to be the hardest to catch. it took me 33years to
    catch a Rakaia fish at Rakaia but managed about 4 years ago and the next 3 visits I got 4 fish. its great that you are off the ‘mark’ will be able to enjoy your fishing more.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members