How far can you cast?

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

What they said !

Line diameter and quality + a properly filled reel all help .As will learning the basics.

Slow start and a fast finish loads most rods more effectively then trying to go flat out from the start.
    Look up! pic a spot in the sky @40 degrees and aim at that when your going for distance looking at the horizon tends to make the cast go low.

Experiment with the amount of drop ( the amount from the tip to the sinker) longer means a slower and softer feeling cast while a short drop makes your timing more critical and the rod feels stiffer.

Find what works best for you and your rod . Some rods work well when using a 4 oz lead and bait where some dont start to bend until you have 6 oz +bait on them

yellowfin
    Participant

Hae all

anyone recommend using braid or just stick with mono for surfcasting

Cheers :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d say stick with mono. It’s cheaper and has a lot more abrasian resistance. If I did use it I would be using a reasonably long mono shockleader although it all depends on what sort of beaches you are fishing. I use braid on a few of my reels but only as backing to increase capacity with about 200 meters mono on top so can’t really comment on the performance of it for every day use.

St_Paul
    Participant

I’ve been fishing braid for about 3 years and have found it great, mostly over sand and in light surf only and haven’t had any problems with breakages.
    The key is to choose a quality braid designed for casting, this will help ensure you don’t have problems with twisting or “wind knots” . Also don’t try it with freespool reels it digs in something chronic if you get a birdsnest. Probably wouldn’t recommend it if you are fishing mostly on steep shelving beaches or in heavy surf over stones.
    I have an axeon, one spool spooled with 10kg mono and a 50lb shockie. The other spooled with 300yds of 50lb suffix performance braid over 200 yds of 20lb mono. I’d recommend at least 300yds of braid as you can easily cast off all of a 150yd spool with a decent OTG cast.
    The bite sensitivity and hook up rates on braid are exceptional.

yellowfin
    Participant

i have been using braid for a bit now too and have tried a couple different ones . im currently using a axeon on a 222 rod with 50lb powerpro braid and i mostly fish steep stony beaches and havt not had any problem with it getting any wear yet the other ones i have found have been hammered

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.