How far can you cast?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    fishforpot
    Participant

This guy was talking mtrs …….nice bloke , but living in his own special universe

rdeejay
    Participant

Is that the same universe where the fish are abundant and are all massive sizes lol

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeahnah

yellowfin
    Participant

That was with a zziplex xtr sport rod a abu 6500 reel ( hot rodded for casting only ) and a 6oz sinker with .35 red ice line and a pendulum cast
    Using the standard tournament sinkers that you can buy here in NZ.

The Aussies are the best film makers when it comes to casting
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Aliencaster … oI8WQerV0M

http://www.vimeo.com/3588821

http://www.vimeo.com/3773523

http://www.youtube.com/user/JPSCHRADER# … Hw0peWXRLQ Thats me at the start of the vid last year :lol:

Its a addictive sport where you keep trying for just a few more meters

yellowfin
    Participant

Is there any form of distance cast that can actually be used in real fishing situations? All the beaches in the Canturbury area steeply shelving and stoney meaning off the ground and pendulum casts arn’t that easy unless you’re standing back from the waves. I think any distance I could gain from doing a pendulum or off the ground cast I can get by just doing a normal overhead cast and waiting for a break in the waves to walk out further to cast. Also the old saying never turn your back to the sea can be important if the sea is rough and trying to do some sort of pendulum cast.

yellowfin
    Participant

The hattaras cast http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wU8l8JHc … re=related would probably work
    Its a handy one to learn as its not that far removed from a over head thump but with the sinker already having some motion it starts loading the rod faster.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

fishforpot

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeahnah

yellowfin
    Participant

Then I can only suggest hitting it harder :mrgreen:

A lot of the pendulum casting on youtube etc is full blown tournament stuff big rotation and long leader drops.
    You can also use what is known as a fishing pendulum cast its much the same motions but with less leader drop and less body rotaion …More just twisting the body the taking a big step http://www.totalseamagazine.com/Videos/ … /video_45/

rdeejay
    Participant

As commented by fishforpot to me as he noted one of my casting styles I’m a big SOB so i seem to have a slight advantage when it comes to using OTG casts due to the greater swing and arc i can accomplish, I’m shy of 6’4 so have quite a long reach so can get the butt end of the rod high and tip low for the start of the cast to really get things swinging up and over. I’ll give the Hatteras cast a shot sometime I’ve watched tommy’s videos a number of times and seen him using it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Bigger can help .But not always I am 6 ft and 115kg and if you look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHw0peWX … re=channel you will see me casting just before Jeremy now hes a solid 5 ft 6 and he kicked my arse with a string of 240 meter casts .
    power is one thing but being able to unleash the power is the key.
    It sounds like your technique is sound tho with a high leading hand and a low tip

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi all,

im just getting into surfcasting and was wondering if 80-90m casts is far enough for surfcasting,
    all my gear is, is a $25 12 foot rod from the warehouse which casts 100-200g and my dads old egg beater reel which has about 140m of 25lb line on with about 20m of 40lb line as leader which leaves the reel full, and im using 6oz brakouts, im just getting annoyed as people tell me you have to cast over the last wave to get the fish but i can never cast out far enough :(
    Any hints or clues to increase distance????

Cheers
    huntz n fishes nz :grin:

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Hi David, The first thing I’d be doing is remove the 25lb line and use about 17 to 20lb line with your shock leader in front. Reduce the shock leader length to about twice your rod length.
    The smaller diameter line will flow better, and perhaps bait presentation may he hindering you too al little.
    The reel may need a service if it is an “old” one from Dads archives, may not help the distance but will keep it going when the fish come more frequent.
    The rod may be a softer action rod I am suspecting so try a 4oz breakout and allow the rod to load up and deliver but the 6oz may be overloading it creating extra flex or “rebound” which does have an affect on distance.
    You won’t need such a heavy weight to pull the lighter line out.
    Just a couple of wee ideas from an ordinary fisho, but realistically, Yeahnah is the man that will be able to troubleshoot you more accurately.
    Like your signature mate, 32 Mullet is a shiteload of bait! (LOL)

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Its more about putting fresh bait in the water and distance is’nt really that important to a certain point. Iv proved this to myself as i try and chuck to the horizon, and my wife justs lobs it out and one day she cuaght the fish a 13kg shark and me zilch. Our daughter just uses a soft action 10foot and one day caught the only fish between us three, the thing that open my eyes was it was a very large specimen red cod and was caught closer to the shore line then i could have thrown a handline!!!
    I would suggest avoiding any preserved bait (been there learnt the hard way) and just use frozen quality pilchards or squid or prawns or fresh mullet and crabs with some bait cotton and youll find that surfcasting really isnt that hard to master.

yellowfin
    Participant

Line shouldn’t be described in rating but in diameter as a lot of lines of the same weight rating have different diameters. Most reels that say a line fits x amount of 30lb generally mean 0.55 diameter line. These days you can get 30lb+ line in 0.45 diameter with most 30lb being 0.50. I wouldn’t go below 0.45 diameter line for fishing off beaches such as birdlings flat. For your shockleader it shouldn’t really be over 9 meters with about two lengths of your rod and a few wraps on the reel being ideal. If it’s a cheap reel make sure it’s as full with line as you can get it without being over full, if it’s half empty this will cause a lot of resistance when you cast. Since you’re only using a cheap rod you can’t expect to much. The rod is going to work better at one end of the sinker rating than the other. Best way is to find somewhere you can cast the rod with a 4oz,5oz and 6oz sinker and measure your best distance. Then depending on the size of your baits you may need to use a sinker size down. Using a pully rig that clips down to your sinker will improve your distance a lot. You can make these easily yourself or buy a pre made one from the shops. Casting a two hook ledger with big baits and a light 4 or 5oz sinker is going to helicopter around and not go anywhere. If you’re casting on a field or down a beach where you can measure your casts you can also try different casting styles and try different things to see what works best.

But it’s true you don’t need to cast far to catch fish, I’ve seen them being caught by people casting into the breakers at beaches like south rakaia and wakanui. The problem is that if it’s really rough your sinker isn’t going to stick and your baits are gonna end up back on the beach. Investing in a possibly longer quality rod would instantly get you more distance.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.