how catch crabs etc. paddle crabs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    fishsnatcher
    Participant

Simple really… What is the best way to catch Crabs?

yellowfin
    Participant

hahahahahahaha sorry hat just sounds funny …im sure other peeps will also get what im laughing at….. but in a more serious term. you can buy them, or sometimes you will hook them on ya line and they will stay on long enough for you to grab them before they go back to the water. but usually dropping a crab pot off the end of a pier that has crabs on the bottom of the water will catch them. or ive seen some devices that people off the of pier at brighton use to catch them im not too sure where you can get these from but they look just like a weight with well cage like arms or something sticcking out the side and drop it to the botom with bait attached and then just lift it up every so often

Miliwolf
    Participant

I been told that Hamilton is the center of crabs in New Zealand, I am certain a few would enjoy a good paddling also.

Otherwise a cage off a wharf over suitable terrian works well. There is a selection of different cages on trademe, have no idea which design works best.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I know what you mean but i wasnt sure wether i should put it in my post lol… :wink:

gunnercoops
    Participant

I may know how,you need to go to Devon in England…

I met a young lady whist on holiday who I notice itching herself…when I asked her the problem she told me “she had more crabs than cockleshell bay”…ahhhh English girls how I miss them!! :shock:

yellowfin
    Participant

Sorry to correct you mili, but Hamilton is the [b:38qe2x5n]chlamydia[/b:38qe2x5n] capital of NZ.
    Raised up that way, so you find out a thing or two.

Bait in a stocking is another way to catch crabs.

yellowfin
    Participant

ive made my own crab catcher. (in a serious note) made it outa of a old 12″ subwoffer surround and i cut up a old berley bag that you can buy from the warehousetied it up with some weight on it as well so it will sink….Yet to put it to the test thhough

yellowfin
    Participant

managed to land 2 decent sized ones last night on my rod….. Paddle crabs i mean… not itchy crabs from the city

PierMaster
    Participant

I use a good meshed butterfly net its only small that i cut the handle off, tied some sinkers and a hook inside to the bottom of the net and just put some a herring or some squid or wateva else i have. works a treat

fishsnatcher
    Participant

How about crab catching at the beach [huh… catching crabs in the heat…But seriously] ? I’ve seeen tonnes of crab carcasses washed up at nearby beaches so how would you go about catching ’em?

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve tried wading out with my crabpot at the beach, but it always gets washed in, even if I put 2kg of lead in it. I think I have a pair of 10kg dumbells somewhere, that would do it!

fishsnatcher
    Participant

Ok this HAS been posted on another forum but anyway…. How do you rig paddle crabs? I mean they are pretty big; as big as my splayed out hand.
    Do you cut em in half? Do you use ganged hooks? Do you use one leg?

Any methods or ideas would be gr8 :)

yellowfin
    Participant

depending on the size i usually wack the legs off pot the top shell off cut it into halves or quater and then just slam it on the hook. the meat seems to stay in for me casting it. another way is to use the,m hole by popoping th e legs off and top shell putting on hook through one leg socket andout then through another one leaving the barb expsed and then the same on the other side

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Usually if the crab is th size of a palm then i cut it in half then wrap some bait elastic around it, then usually use a two hook rig with the leading hook protruding through the legs out the bottom well exposed and then put the other through the top half near the mouth end and then wrap it up in bait elastic.

If the crabs are small ie smaller than the width of thumb lenght i leave the back shell on but give a couple of good wacks with the knife blade (to let the juices ooze but help keep the crab intact and prevent the lice cleaning it out) then put a hook through the legs and one through the mouth protruding out the belly with keeping hooks well exposed so to maximise hookup when they try the run and drop, hopefully a hook catches them, i then wrap it up in bait elastic (black magic bait buddy is excellent), with wrapping a few final wraps around a leg to keep the elastic in place and prevent it from coming off and wrapping around everything else. This is how iv done it in the past and it has proven very sucessful.

A fish i caught during a comp was taken on a half crab that was the size of a large hand and was amazed that the bait was taken no worries.

Hope this helps others.

fishsnatcher
    Participant

hehe is there a proven method which works for catching crabs on your rod and reel? Like do ya chuck out a huge chunk of bait on a hook wait till the crab grabs it with it’s pincers then haul it up?

Just curious

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.