Holiday Fishing

• This topic has 4 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 9 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi all, i will be visiting NZ in March/April 2013 from the UK and would love to get a few days fishing in, i am primarily a freshwater angler in the UK fishing mainly for big pike on the fly / lures, i would love to tangle with some kingfish or anything else that takes a lure and wondered if you could suggest some decent charter operations who run split charters as i will be a solo angler. We will be travelling around doing the campervan thing so any area considered

Many thanks..Darren.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, it is good to hear that you are planning for a fishing trip. I rally enjoy going for fishing very much. I may not be able to help you very much as I do not know much about NZ. I usually plan my fishing trip with delph fishing charters, you can try them too. Hope you have a nice trip.

yellowfin
    Participant

Hi Daren, Spent many an hour chasing pike or watching floats bobble in UK – been over here 9 years now. What advice you need depends very much on which of the islands you’re visiting in NZ. For Kingfish, the North Island is – well – king. There’s not many down here in the South Island. You’d probably be better off on a charter but the fishing progs on tele are always showing people “up north” standing on a rock spinning (silvery lure retrieved very quickly?) for Kahawai that would be a great ‘keeper’ – just to stick them out under a balloon and hook into a huge kingfish. What they can’t offer on the NI though is the chance to stand at a river mouth spinning for Salmon – which in March especially is prime time Salmon season here in the SI. To fish like this in UK would cost you thousands – but here its public, all you need is a licence. Spinning in rivers, lakes and canals for (land locked) Salmon and Trout is also exceptional here in NZ – be careful though some waters are fly only – check the booklet you get with your licence. Gerald.

yellowfin
    Participant

btw Daren – be careful/sensible/respectful where you stay and what you get up to in your campervan. Kiwis have had a gut full of “tourists behaving badly” in their vans. Google something like “facility free vans NZ” for advice on what is/isn’t acceptable. Advice for fishing over here is exactly the same as in the UK – get to where you want to fish and head for the pub. The locals will ignore you and act dumb when you start talking about fishing and advice. After a couple of pints though, you’ll have more help than any guide book :) I went for a few days fishing a few hours away from here with my boy once. The pub/pints trick worked and we even had the landlord spilling the beans and bet my boy that he couldn’t catch a bigger trout than him in the morning. We rolled up at the pub the next day with boy holding a 4lb brown and the landlord kept to his work and provided many bags of crisps (that’s chips to Kiwi)! Funny thing was he didn’t catch the fish, another local gave it to him. If you’re passing through Christchurch and ply me with a pint or 2, I might even be persuaded to spill those beans – they are a dead cert way to catch Salmon & Trout at that place. Gerald

yellowfin
    Participant

Each and every people should enjoy their holidays as well as vacation which can be possible in many ways.There are may people who likes Fishing so they often goes for that near a water area and there are many popular places where they can go for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.