Help with Elephant Fish

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

Hi Guys,
    I have been trying to catch an Elephant fish over the last couple of summers but have had no luck. Have caught plenty of rig but no Ele’s yet.

I was wondering if people could share their experiences and knowledge so I can hopefully get one this coming season.

Cheers.

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

The first rule for catching elephant fish is to be fishing when and where elephant fish are present. The second rule is to use crab, prawn, crayfish or tuatua for bait rather than cut fish fillets. Having said all of that I once caught four elephant fish in a day at Haast Beach in mid winter on squid. A mate of mine who has a batch down at the Rangitata River mouth told me that one day he and his son, and quite a few other people, caught a large number of elephant fish from the shingle beach there one afternoon. It was like every cast another elephant fish.

Ben
    Participant

Thanks Allan. So do you reckon I should stick with crab and just keep going till I get one? Do you think it will be worth trying a few different beaches or will it not really matter.
    Cheers

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.