Good buggers at the Rakaia mouth

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

I had dumbass moment this morning and short roped my boat at the Rakaia mouth :oops: A chap was good enough to come and find me and let me know it was sitting very low in the water. So low in fact that the boat was half full of water, enough to have drowned the motor.

After sweawing at myself for a few moments I asked a couple of guys with quads to try pulling it out to drain it. I kinda knew it was a waste of time but I had to try something. As I thought it was too heavy and the quad just spun its tyres in the shingle. Next plan was to go get the Hilux to pull it out. It only took about half an hour to get back to the truck and maybe another 15mins to drive back to the boat. When I got there a crowd had gathered around the boat which was now up on the bank and being bailed out by some good keen men! One of them was also good enough to tow it back to the ramp for me to save me having to drag it up the bank with the truck.

I am not sure if any of the guys that helped are on here but I would like to say cheers again for them getting stuck in and helping a bloke in a shite situation.

I have drained the motor out (it was full to the top with water), changed the filters, cleaned and dried the plugs and it fired up first go. I am stoked but still need to change the oil and filters again to get rid of any water that has mixed with the oil.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for sharing your boating mishap story with us. Often people will lend a hand if you just ask. However in this case you didn’t get the chance to ask! I know a few blokes that have baches at the Rakaia River mouth. Come to think of it; they are good buggars too!

Mal
    Participant

Make sure you drain the bowl on your carby to be on the safe side, this often gets overlooked.

aretheyrunningyet
    Participant

Thanks for that Mal, I had forgotten to do that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.