Fresh salmon at supermarkets

Posted By yellowfin On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  yellowfin 10 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

yellowfin
    Participant

If salmon from salmon farms are generally smaller (supposably), and commercial fishermen don’t make any money out of salmon (supposably) because they have to donate the profit back to the sport when they do, then why are there so many large fresh salmon being sold at the supermarket?

Do commercial fishermen not make much effort to discard salmon before they die or do you get large farm raised salmon?

I can see how it would be hard to release undersized fish and salmon when you’re raping and pillaging with some massive net and end up with a massive amount of fish in it to sort through. Doesn’t make it right though.

yellowfin
    Participant

havin worked at a salmon farm myself (isaacs) some of the salmon they raise (for the food market mainly) are rather large. not too the 20lb kinda ones you gt in the rivers fromthe sea so they are usually smaller but they are rather large and some of them you could get a fairly large fillet off them.. also there are sme sea salmon farms where the salmon maybe raised to larger sizes. for the last few weeks of the farming stage before they process the fish thought they starve them to then get rid of the taste of the pellets they feed them which transsfer into the meat sothis stops it

fishsnatcher
    Participant

I think the farms which you can pay to fish in they grow them to larger sizes…. i think…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members