Freespool/Overhead Reels

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Haven’t used it again. lol

I was looking at putting another reel seat on my Solaris, but I couldn’t find any of the Fuji FS type that can just be taped on for temporary use.

yellowfin
    Participant

Try http://www.gofish.co.nz.

I am thinking of selling the posiden 5 that I have .

yellowfin
    Participant

How much you selling it for?

yellowfin
    Participant

$150 would take it …freighted to wherever :D

3 tips etc I have fished with it @10 times of soo .The wooden spud at the end has a few scratches etc but otherwise very good cond

yellowfin
    Participant

What’s the Exact model and specs etc?

yellowfin
    Participant

Poseidon 5 –

14ft, 5 piece rod with 3 tip sections.
    L (4-5oz) M(5-6oz) H(6-7oz)

Looks like this but it has reflective tape on the tips

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s Fiberglass or Graphite or mix?

yellowfin
    Participant

graphite /full carbon fibre same thing different name
    I have played with on the feild managed to cast it to 180 odd mtrs.

yellowfin
    Participant

I used the Daiwa SL50SHK I got when I went up to Kaikoura, also been out today to have a few casts. At first I didn’t have it spooled completely full, and I was sort of getting the hang of it. Before I went up to Kaikoura I spooled it right to the rim, and after about 3 unsuccesfull casts at Kaikoura I figured I’d put to much line on. After taking some line off I was casting it alright untill I let go of the spool mid cast and caused a massive birds nest, which I ended up cutting the line and rejoining it. After that I had problems with the two small knots joining the main line causing the line to catch up and birds nest. So I think I’ll have to respool it with new line and make sure there’s no knots at least in the length of the line I will be casting out. I think I’ve got it mostly sorted though, but it seems when I cast it sort of starts to birds nest and then sorts its self out and I just have to stop the spool with my thumb as it hits the water.

yellowfin
    Participant

That some times happens with the bigger spools as theres a lot of mass getting spun up to speed right at the start of the cast.
    And yes line level is also important.
    I tend to have no knots in my fishing reels apart from the shockleader knot.

When your casting aim for a smooth application of power from the start to the finish without snatching at the cast .
    A jerky snatched cast is a blow up waiting to happen

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah the casts I’ve been doing haven’t been hard. If I try to do a really hard cast the spool just spins way to fast and there’s an almost instant birds nest. I find it hard to cast smoothly but at the same time put power into it, but hopefully after a while I’ll get used to it.

yellowfin
    Participant

Then I would say you need to slow the reel down some more.
    Try using all of the brakes whites and the reds with the flat side out. Or get some fairly thick oil and add a drip or two to each bearing.
    Once you get more used to it you will be able to speed it up.

My fishing reels are all set up fairly safe and slow as I would rather spend my time fishing then picking out birdys

yellowfin
    Participant

Went out again today for a few casts with the Daiwa. Cast after cast and no birdsnests at all. Might be due to changing the brake blocks to the red ones last night, and also spooling with new line, so no knots to get in the way apart from the shockleader. So at the moment I’m just using 0.50mm 19.5kg main line with 80lb shockleader, even spooled right to the top and still no problems. Now I just gotta work on my casting, not sure if I’m getting the same distance as I am with my spinning reel setups or not.

yellowfin
    Participant

Give it a while and try it with one red and one white.
    Lighter lines would give you a bit of distance but you can cast bigger reels and lines a long way have a look at
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1yMRVJkOZ0
    I have a pair of penn 535 mags that are a bit smaller then your sl50 and I can cast them 150 odd mtrs

yellowfin
    Participant

Possibly another one for Mr Yeahnah, & I see from his post today that hes off on holiday so may have to wait for a reply.
    Okuma Contoura Mag, anyone played with one in the flesh? I have found mixed reviews online from overseas but as yet nothing that would deter me from bringing in 1 or 2 from the states, simply because they are cheap as chips along with a couple of purpose built surfcasters for overhead reels.

Zac, hows the freespool angling going for you? Been quite a few months since your last post in this topic.

Yeahnah, did you sell the Poseidon 5?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.