Forum surfcasting trip to Kaikouria?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds good. We should probably exchange mobile numbers via private messages as well, just in case someone is lost

yellowfin
    Participant

I have no problems with that. We should be able to get a ‘fairly’ accurate swell forecast 4-5 days out which might help with selecting the spot.

In saying that, one side of a bay is normally fairly calm in Kaikouria while the other could have a 3m swell smashing into it.

http://www.marineweather.co.nz/reports/ … egionid=34

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go?

South of Goosebay the beaches are quite gravelly, north the coastline is rocky until the clarence then you are onto the long Keerengu gravel beaches.

yellowfin
    Participant

i cant make it but when i went

yellowfin
    Participant

I’d prefer close to Kaikoura or south of Kaikoura as

yellowfin
    Participant

yea im not too sure about

yellowfin
    Participant

maybe a few coutta round moki

yellowfin
    Participant

I personally believe that it is to early for the more exciting Summer fish. But I see little reason why reef fish would not be around in number. Blue cod should be a real possibility.

Personally, If the sea is flat north of kaikouria (0% chance) then it would be worthwhile fishing there. Otherwise south is fine with me.

South bay is often calm when the rest of the coast is rough. I been for a couple of dives their this winter and saw quite a few Moki and large butterfish.

I also went for a dive at goose bay and saw Moki and butterfish there also. In saying that I believe there would be good populations of both fish anywhere there is kelp along the kaikouria coastline.

The beach around Oaro is quite sandy and often sheltered.

Kekerengu is a exposed cold piece of coast. In summer it is suppose to be a good for large sharks but I do not believe it is overly productive during Winter.

yellowfin
    Participant

I would try and go for a dive this weekend and get heaps of shellfish which I could swim out with and set up a real good burley going. It should encourage the terakhi in.

I saw what I think was a coutta off the ‘new wharf’ one night while fishing there. There was also heaps of garfish around on the surface.

yellowfin
    Participant

I would love to catch a terakih, blue cod and moki. If I could catch all of those I’d be wrapped!

Terakih fishing, what is the best to rig up for these? And what’s best bait wise? And Moki, what’s the best rig / bait for these fish?

Thanks
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

I have only ever speared moki.

But I have read that a small hook, maybe 3/0 with a small bit of crab or shellfish for bait. I have also heard a large hook with several whole mussels is a good way to catch big Moki.

Moki become more active at night/dusk.

Tarakihi generally live in deeper water 10m+, they have a small mouth so a small hook would be ideal. But I have caught them on fairly large hooks meant for Blue cod before while boat fishing.

Without checking my guide, you could probably get both Moki and Tarakihi on a 3/0 hook. Although they typically live in different areas.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cool, thanks for that!

Just a standard ledger rig for both the moki and Terakih?

I’ve seen on fishing shows Terakih caught on squid as bait, I spose that’ll be fine for bait then. Any chance of Terakih do you think i.e off the wharf or fishing from shore around Kaikoura?

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

Crikey! This sounds like a plan! I’d be keen, may have to do a shitload of gardening this weekend to get a pass ;)

Have just got a new Axeon so would be a great chance to give it a crack.

yellowfin
    Participant

The extended forecast for the 1st is looking ok.

High: 12*C
    Mostly cloudy.
    Precip 20%

Wind: WNW 13km/hr

I might have to pick up a Kayak on the 1st so could be delayed getting down there.

yellowfin
    Participant

there is now a chance of me

yellowfin
    Participant

just remember about the congers that can be caught off the

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.