Forum surfcasting trip to Kaikouria?

Viewing 11 posts - 211 through 221 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah, pretty much as soon as we bought it in we cut under the gills and bled it. Afterwards chopped the head off and put it in a chillibin, wasn’t very chilly however would’ve kept it from getting warmer one hoped. When I got back to the camping ground we stayed in I put it in the camp freezer wrapped in a plastic bag to minimise mess.

The next day just put it in the chillibin and let it slowly thaw on the way back to Chch. Got home that evening and fillited it. I recommend if you catch a nice sized one you try have a go cooking it, my Dad cooked it up and it was great tasting. He got to it before I had a chance! LOL.

One thing in the Kaiwhai they look like they’ve got two lateral lines, the one running along the top once you’ve taken the fillet off the backbone isn’t one so there are no bones and no need to cut it out. Just the standard lateral line running along the centre is there which you cut out. It’s just practise with filleting, I got a plate full of meat off it. With better practise I’m sure I’ll get more.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

I see you guys fished the steeply shelving shingle beach

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hey Yellowfin.

I ususally head Kekerengu ways when im out to wet a bait.Actually a bit further south.Im usually anywhere between Kekerengu and Waitata bay which is pretty much where the rocky coastline starts.

Apparently Waitata is where some Kaikoura locals target snapper although im not sure what time of year but id say from late January onwards.I tried for a moki there one day,I was right where the sandy beach meets the rocky shoreline.I never got a moki in the end but I did have a ball catching those banded wrasse things and the TRUE moari chiefs.

Also fished Blue duck stream a few times myself with much the same results,although that was in the middle of the afternoon and I think trying both Waitata and Blue duck after dark may yeild a moki or two.The only place ive caught moki before is the wharf at kaikoura and raw prawns seemed to be the ticket.

Peketa is about as far south as I have been surfcasting before,no fish but the problem was the temperature! We couldnt stay out in the sun for more than an hour it was so hot but I hope to try again over the holidays.

Ive read quite a few articles about fishing Kekerengu and apparently that is the place to be targeting rig.I dont fish there myself like I said I carry on down the road further away from the rocks when Im after sharks.For sharks (sevengills and greyboys) I go to the Parikawa,three fords area.That is prob my fav haunt any time of the year.

Depending if youre after a certain species of fish or like me,go out to see what may be cruising behind the breakers then I recommend any accessable beach between Waitata bay and north to Kekerengu.No gaurantees on fish everytime though!;)

yellowfin
    Participant

yes yellowfin we did fish south bay but got nothing and the wind was a pain so we went to the railway stationwhich is where we got the kaiwhai skate salmon and bogger got the octi the next day then we went off the wharf and got the cod ive tried goose bay before and got small cod and

Miliwolf
    Participant

Surprised about catching Snapper at Waitata. I thought they were nearly extinct on the east coast now.

yellowfin
    Participant

Thanks for that.

I know exactly where you mean by the Parikawa three fords area. That looks like a very promising spot. I guess you get into the habit of always going to the same places. To my knowledge they are no camping grounds around Kekerengu. During the holidays I would usually stay at Goose Bay so it is a long hike up to Parikawa. You really need to camp there for a day or two to give it a decent fish.

I’ve fished in some out-of-the-way places on the West Coast. The further south you go towards Haast the better the fishing gets. I suspect it is because these isolated areas see very little fishing pressure. In some places I’ve hooked good fish after fish – all day! There are almost certainly some great hot-spots for surfcasting on the Kaikoura Coast that are little known other than by a few locals.

Staying at Goose Bay my sons and

Miliwolf
    Participant

Has anyone here fished south of Haast? I noticed that there is a road (Haast-Jackson Bay rd) which heads further south. I also noticed that there is no obvious bridge over the Okuru River which indicates a potentially rough track.

Almost looks possible to drive all the way down to “Big Bay”.

Looks like a cool place to spend a few days surfcasting and chasing after trout.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah i was suprised to hear about that myself.I read about it in the news paper and if I remember correctly it was an article about the Kaikoura lions surfcasting competition.

I think catchin a snapper down there would be a more “luck of the draw” kinda thing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Miliwolf

yellowfin
    Participant
    A mate of mine, who is a fair bit older than me, was once a commercial fisherman on the West Coast. This is going back fifty years. He lived in Cobden on the north side of the Grey River. As a young man he worked for several years on a fishing boat. He says, “I couldn’t believe they actually paid
    HookLineSinker
    Participant

I have looked at that area several times but never tried yet as was unsure about access to the beach do you mind me asking if the gate at parikawa allows public access or do you require owners permission and i have seen that the three fords have access tracks are these usable for beach access would appreciate any reply seven?

Now i dont know if you know or not but there is a couple of access roads to the clarence river mouth and beach on the south side which apparently yeild big rig regularly they also seem to have areas that you would be able to camp with out annoying anyone!!!

Viewing 11 posts - 211 through 221 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.