Forum surfcasting trip to Kaikouria?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

what have you done with that salmon booger? i wish that skate was a nice clean one i may have eaten it then

yellowfin
    Participant

What was wrong with the skate? Did you get a picture?

yellowfin
    Participant

yea aaron got

yellowfin
    Participant

HEAD

yellowfin
    Participant

oh yes

yellowfin
    Participant

Yep, it was a pretty mild night, so sleeping in the car wasn’t a bad choice.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea it was quite good aye didnt get back to the lodge till 1130ish i think after we went for drink and it was quite good. was going to come downfishing beside u for a while butlooked too cold and windy and the sea was a bit choppy so went home

yellowfin
    Participant

why dont u steak ur salmon? and

yellowfin
    Participant

Might have a browse on the net and see what other people do with salmon. Not sure how much of that 4.5kg will be meat,

yellowfin
    Participant

im sure alot will be meat

yellowfin
    Participant

I don’t know if it was already posted, but what sort of gear was the salmon caught on? Like size hooks, bait etc

yellowfin
    Participant

A 42g hex ticer. I thought it would be worth a try after Aaron caught the kahawai.

yellowfin
    Participant

I thought it might have just been on bait or something. Was the Kahawai that Aaron caught the only one?

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok, here we go again. Third attempt at this, should get it done now.

This was a great trip and a first for me in terms of getting a decent fish surfcasting! I’ve caught the odd doggie before surfcasting and that’s what put me off it for a little while there. But Kaikoura produced the goods and according to Greg (HEAD) and his dad the fishing was only moderate and better days can be had. The Salmon caught by Booger was certainly cool though!

First went to South Bay and started fishing around 11:45am, left there about 1pm or maybe 1:30pm after no fish had been caught. Not even any bites! Mind you the tide was very low only just coming back in, with these steeply shelved beaches one would think it might not matter as much but yeah……. Grabbed some lunch and went to the old railway station and fished there.

“>

yellowfin
    Participant

That’s a good report there Jones Jr.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.