Forum SurfCasting Trip 2

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Sounds to me like quite a good place to fish. Especially over the warmer months when there is Kingfish around.

St_Paul
    Participant

sounds very similar to taylors mistake down here as far as species go.
    Have seen the odd kingfish caught during Jan – Feb from there. Had one monster a kahawai I hooked on light spinning gear once.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Mid January

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Yea that strecth of beach is where i caught my fish last weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

im fairly keen to do the coast over xmas holidays at some point

St_Paul
    Participant

I’m probably going to take next thursday/friday off and do an overnighter.
    maybe bayleys beach.
    wintides shows 3 bite peaks on the graph and the moon is full.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Getting this thread back on topic.

People seem to be quite busy Labour weekend. So probably not the best time to organise such a trip. Early October marks the start of the trout season so I probably would not be thinking about Surf Casting.

I feel any ‘WestCoast trip’ would be a real drama to organise and would have to many clashes. So the only real option would be Kaikouria or smaller trips to a local Beach in Marlborough and Canterbury.

Looking at the Calendar.

Maybe
    October: 20th or maybe sometime in mid November?

Would need to consult tides.

yellowfin
    Participant

october 20 is labour weekend i believe ahhh cant remember what i said tides were off the top of me head lol

Miliwolf
    Participant

The fiery ginga

yellowfin
    Participant

this seems to have dried up? anyone still keen for another trip at some point?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeap.

The recent rain has made trout fishing a waste of time.

I was planning to do a night-time fish targeting elephant fish the weekend of labour day. I was going to target a site relatively close to Blenheim but would drive further south if anyone else is interested.

Oaro could be a option further south. It is about 20 minutes south of Kaikouria I guess. The beach is quite sandy but it could have slightly to much kelp.

The site near to Blenheim is a long sandy beach with little snags. I prefer fishing off sandy beaches at night.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Your best option i would suggest would be the saltworks and also yields rig oftenly two. Thats just my suggestion as for some reason the spinys tend to be less prevalent than the beaches north of this ie cable station and the spectacular seaview beach (which can yield alsorts like gurnard to carpet pests(sharks) and eels but i have found that the spinys also occur in big numbers also and are hard to get past before the bigger ones other species get a chance. Just my two cents worth!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Anyone interested in a Kaikouria trip on the 24-25th of November. That is two weekends away.

Sunset: 8:30pm

Tides:

Saturday: Low: 10:44 am
    Saturday: High: 4:50 pm
    Saturday: Low: 11:02 pm

Sunday:: High: 5:26 am
    Sunday: Low: 11:44 am
    Sunday: High: 5:48pm

Tides are a bit wrong, but I would probably still head down and might stay the night.

yellowfin
    Participant

um i would be but as you said tides are a lil wrong i think im heading up a few days after new years depending on when the tides allow

yellowfin
    Participant

maybe around the 4/5th jan with

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.