Forum SurfCasting Trip 2

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

The old thread has grown quite large and a new thread for a new trip seemed like a good idea to me.

Following the trip to Kaikouria, disscussion has occured for another trip in a few months time.

When: Still up for discussion. But sometime around Early December or maybe Labour weekend (October 22). This would allow time for the water to warm and would beat the worst of the xmas holiday makers.

There is nothing preventing us from doing 2 trips.

Where:

Either back to Kaikouria or over to the westcoast.

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe one trip over Labour Weekend and another over the christmas holidays.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have been thinking about this for a while.

I was thinking it could be worthwhile to try and see if there is interest to have a SurfCasting trip to the ‘Westcoast’ on Labour weekend.

Like most of you guys should know, the westcoast is a big place.

Greymouth/Hokitika would be the most convenient location for the Canterbury members. The Gret river would also provide a good source of trout fishing.

Going to Westport would increase the chance of getting a few ‘warmer water’ species like KY or even Snapper. Westport is 85km north of Greymouth.

Personally I would like to go south of Hokitika and head toward haast, and hope to get into less fished waters. But there is decent water along the entire coast.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I have to work over the Xmas holidays so would not be convenient for me but I am only 1 member. Also tourists and campervans are in plague proportions that time of year.

yellowfin
    Participant

yes i agree id saythe coast over xmas would be better

yellowfin
    Participant

just cause kaikoura would be opacked over xmas and alot of peeps around also

Miliwolf
    Participant

The advantage of going to the Westcoast on Labour weekend is that we have a 3 day weekend so a smaller proportion of time would be spent traveling.

Kaikouria is a tolerable day trip from both directions.

Rough distances.

Blenheim > Westport: 220km
    Blenheim > Kaikouria: 110km

Christchurch > Westport: 300km
    Christchurch > Kaikouria: 150km

Nelson > Wesport: 175km
    Nelson > Kaikouria: 210km

(+ or – 85km for Greymouth)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Good summary of westcoast fishing is in this thread
    https://fishingmag.co.nz/forums/view … forum_id=3

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m easy going about where we go though can’t guarantee I’d be keen on trout fishing, it’s probably more of a solo or small group activity anyway – too many people would scare them away easier.

Zac are you OK about having to drive to Westport if we choose there? It’s a long way from Ashburton.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah its probably a bit far from Ashburton.

yellowfin
    Participant

id say the coast would be a good kinda place to go for like a week if we booked a few camp sites beside each other and put up a few tents with a few bbqs in in middle and a few tables so while we aint fishing we can sit round

Miliwolf
    Participant

I was thinking of taken a few days off work around labour weekend. I still have about 6 weeks paid leave owing.

If it was for several days, I would consider greymouth would be a good base.

Day trips could be taken further south or north.

Or if surfcasting gets boring one could travel inland to fish one of the lakes or rivers. There is also a river in the Arthur’s pass I was hoping to fish this year.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea i can possibly get one day off but that maybe it !!!!

yellowfin
    Participant

zac

Jones Jr.
    Participant

I work Sunday to Wed, regardless of public holidays or not. It’s set in stone!

I could possibly get the Sunday off and swap that shift for another day however the Monday I doubt. The trip to Kaikoura I think I was lucky to get that Sunday.

Hmm, I’ll think about it.

Cheers
    Aaron

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.