Forum Shorebased fishing comp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Just caught two more extremely rare species, the Seaview Dogfish (caught a whole pack) and a Clifford Bay KY. There was also a Seaview Red Cod but it is to simalar to the Cloudy Bay Red Cod to gain another point.

Militaris is now on [b:3pist5cl]3[/b:3pist5cl] points, just another 7 points until I get the 10 winter species bonus :dude:

yellowfin
    Participant

I’ve only caught red cod and dogfish so far this winter, so 2 points for me, that probably won’t change much until spring. The proportion of red cod to dogfish has been a lot better this year, there are lots of 2.5kg red cod around.
    I’m looking forward to having a crack at catching my first elephant fish later on in the year, they eluded me last season, didn’t get a gurnard either. Hopefully the price of petrol won’t be too bad later in the year! Maybe we should start car pooling!

yellowfin
    Participant

haha too true booger..where do you intend on going for eles? i got a couple last year off the waimak mouth of all places.though not very big i hav also noticed alot more reds arpund so far this year which i guess is a good sign…

yellowfin
    Participant

Somewhere near large numbers pipi or tua tua, e.g. just south of amberley – I’ll be able to get free effective bait easily, and hopefully there will be eles in the area trying to get at the pipis/tua tuas.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I am also going to catch a Ele fish this year in Marlb. :)

Going to catch it near the saltworks. Also going to get a Snapper there.

Sevengillz
    Participant

that marlborough ele has got to be worth a few points mili.Im goin to work on the rig this time round.HookLineSinker had a good run on them over the summer,might have to stalk him lol :lol:

Miliwolf
    Participant

I got onto rigs last summer, just need the right location and bait.

The ideal location is a sandy bottom (HookLineSinker and I have mentioned a good location several time on these forums), best time to target them is a incoming tide at night. Best bait is Crab, Shrimp, Prawn or other crustacean. Hook size should be smaller, I use a size 4 circle.

yellowfin
    Participant

somehwere south f amberley would be like leithfeid from memorey its more sandy so more likely to hav good tuatua beds same with the oins and kiraki all though they are very shallow

HookLineSinker
    Participant

Miliwolf

Miliwolf
    Participant

I prefer the time around dusk for targeting rig. But they turn up at any time really. Do not be afraid of making short casts.

St_Paul
    Participant

I got lots of rig last season around ashburton, on cooked prawns and all in the middle of the day (had to find some way to fill in a couple of hours over lunchtimes ;-) ). largest was only 6kg. Now that I’ve moved to marlborough I’m looking forward to chasing them up here. Nice to hear that you guys had some success using the humble cooked prawns I first mentioned in the bait thread. Have also found that a single large fresh crab leg can work great too. Would be keen to catch up with you Malburians for a spot of rig chasing come summer.
    by the by what are sole worth points wise? caught a nice one by queen charlotte yacht club in picton harbour on saturday avo.

Miliwolf
    Participant

If you can tell us the tactics and techniques you used then it would be added to the list and would be worth a point.

Has there been any interesting fishing around Picton?

I have found both cooked and raw prawn works well on rig. I probably prefer to use crabs but prawns are so easy to get and store.

St_Paul
    Participant

I caught it on a 2 hook ledger rig (single 80lb droppers with snelled 4/0 circle hooks) on squid bait, basically I tie a burley bag to the jetty using a combo of stimulate pellets and bobs brew burley, get a bit of a trail running, cast fairly close and let it sit slack on the bottom, This rig acts like a long line as the fish grab the bait and swim away hooking themselves. Usually have 1 rod set up with a ledger rig and a smaller rod set up with a float rig for garfish.
    There still seem to be a lot of garfish about, got about 1/2 a dozen on saturday too. larger Kahawai seeem to have thinned out, lots of small baitfish(mullet/juvi kahawai) about, still getting the odd larger mullet but haven’t caught anything larger than the sole in a while.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Added sole to the list

Think I would head down the sounds one day this weekend, was going down to Kaikoura but the swell is looking to high.
    Would be a kayak mission I feel. Going to Seaview surfcasting friday night, hopefully I would get another species (skate) and a couple of big doggies.

I know of a couple of spots in Port Underwood where I plan to paddle around to, with luck should be able to add Couta, Blue Cod and wrasse to my tally from there. Maybe even a Gurnard. Might do that on Sunday.

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m working in Auckland next week. Might be able to get in some fishing after work and get some Northern species, although I’m guessing most of the areas near town will be fished out.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.