Forum Comp

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • Author
    PierMaster
    Participant

I think we should make it a sunday say the 25th?
    same place, same time

bring some mates

any prize and fee suggestions

$10 per person 3 rods maximum?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Could do Sunday. Tide is better for the Comp.

Main reason for Saturday was the ease of sneaking off to fish for Moki after the comp.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah $10 entry and 2 or 3 rods maximum sounds good. Then I suppose all entry goes to winner, or could split into catagories and a certain percentage for everyone. Like Biggest Fish, Most Fish, etc.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Maybe we could arrange the categories after the comp so i win all of the prize money? sounds fair I reckon.

yellowfin
    Participant

Had a chat with a couple of us down on the pier sat afternoon, (aaron, greg, andrew) thought maybe $5 a rod, max of 3 rods. Longest fish takes all, thoughts?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Nice and simple.

But, What if someone catches a skinny disease conger, then someone else lands a nice healthy big Moki which is slightly shorter. Should a moderate length conger really defeat a big Moki?

Maybe have a prize for Longest fish, Most caught and most surprising overall.

The most surprising could be a vote by all that are present. Could get a bit controversial deciding between a 50kg skate and a 600g Gurnard. .

yellowfin
    Participant

Maybe heaviest fish? Or could have two catagories, one for smaller size fish and one for bigger species?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Who really wants to try and weigh a 30kg Tope or skate?

I feel measuring length is easier and gentler on the fish then weight.

yellowfin
    Participant

Well I was thinking more estimation of weight, but I suppose longest fish is more accurate.

Participant

Sounds interesting guys just a couple of things ild like to put out there: maybe conger eels shouldnt be allowed as its not hard to catch a conger, otherwise its just going end up like nape nape comp which would be a waste of fishing such a prime beach as conway & conway offers bait fisherman the chance of some good size sharks would be a pity to see a good shark go down to a eel also would like to put the idea out of starting the comp at a earlier time say 6am instead of the office hours of 8am as we would have all lost the prime time to fish which is first light & we are suppose to be keen fisherman

yellowfin
    Participant

Only problem for some people with having it so early would be if coming from further away they would have to be leaving very early in the morning, or coming the night before and staying the night. Travelling from Ashburton would be around 2 hours maybe less if travelling in the morning, not sure how long from other areas. For me I’m not really worried what time it is I can get there.

Also can someone give directions from the main road, as I’m not sure of the turnoff. I guess it’s just turn at Claverley road and go right to beach?

Miliwolf
    Participant

Zoom down Claverley Road, then at the intersection cross the Conway river over the bridge and head down Conway Flat road. Zoom down that road to the beach.

I find congers hard to catch :( , I have never caught one. What is the secret?????

Problem with a 6am start is that many of us would have to get up at 4am or earlier to get there on time. Its the best part of two hours from Blenheim. Although if these enough interest for a 6am start I would be tempted to drive down the night before and spend the night after moki.

yellowfin
    Participant

So I guess it’s confirmed for Saturday 25th October. $5 a rod max 3 ($15) ? Longest fish takes all the money.

So basicly it’s a competiton to get the longest conger, cos once someone catches one of them only other thing to take the prize really would be a seven giller or a massive schoolie/rig.

Carl
    Participant

How about something like most species?? Takes a bit more skill than throwing out a big heave and leave bait.

PierMaster
    Participant

It should be split
    50% heaviest
    50% longest

That way a 5kg skate wont loose to a 70cm 1kg dogfish
    however if a 5kg rig was caught measuring 90cm or so that fish would take both categories

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 76 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.