Flyfishing the canels at the end of April

Posted By Ric On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Allan Burgess 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ric
    Participant

Hi ,
    I’ve fished north island (Rotorua) for the pass 23 years for big rainbows and managed to catch 2 fish over 10 lb but there not as big as the fish you have in the south island canals, so I’m coming over from Melbourne to fly fish the canal areas in the last week of April but I’ve never fish it before. Can anybody help me out with some info on where to fish or maybe put me on to someone who fly fishes the area .
    Cheers
    Ric

Allan Burgess
    Keymaster

Hi Ric,
    I don’t think I have ever seen anyone actually fly fishing in the Twizel Canals. I have seen the odd youtube video of fly fishing there, but in all my trips to the canals I have never actually seen anyone using a fly rod. I do know of at least one bloke from Australia who has been successful with the fly rod though. I’m sure he used plenty of weight to get his flies down deep. Here’s the link: https://fishingmag.co.nz/forums/topic/twizel-canal-fish

He said he used a little split-shot for extra depth. There is no reason the fly rod shouldn’t work well especially in the Tekapo and Ohau A canals which are a bit shallower and not as wide as Ohau B and C. Casting a nymph in the white-water at one of the inlets would be sure to work especially as the days get colder. April should be all good. Drifting a couple of nymphs along the wall would also be the go but you would have one hell of a fight on your hands with an angry 25lb rainbow jack on the other end. Good luck!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.