fly fishing forum

Posted By shark slayer On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  shark slayer 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

shark slayer
    Participant

post all things fly fishing here..salt and freshwater..got into fly fishing a couple months ago(why didnt i start sooner damn it!)its become a bit of an addiction..especialy species chasing..i put in 3 hours practise before my first time out and headed down to the surf..got a 5lb salmon 3rd cast on a white rabbit hooked on the strip..ended up with 60 odd kahawai released for the weekend 2 salmon and a searun..have had hundreds of perch on lures and nymphs up to 2lb..went out monday in the dark to try nymph my first brown..hooked 6 dropped 1 and landed 5..super scrappy to on a rising dirty river..then me and a mate went out last night i got 8 he got 5 and we dropped a few..so its been a good start to fly fishing for me..now i want a rainbow and some cuda! :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

You have done very well for a beginner I must say. I remember once being a Lake Coleridge with a group of mates fishing for the day in mid-winter. We were all spinning with mixed success. Then a guy arrived with a fly rod an started to pull out fish after fish. It was a still day and the water was very clear – ideal conditions for the flyrod.

shark slayer
    Participant

cheers mate..yea thats the benefit of doing both spin and fly fishing..some days its the spin gear that does the damage and some days its the fly gear..it allows you to fish different conditions effectively..went out tuesday eve for a quick flick and got 2 nice browns..7 and 9lb..and last night went out to try some different lures(still figuring out what i like and what works for me)got a nice brown first cast on a size 2 mrs simpson..then another nice fish on a small black wooly bugger with a bigger one trailing behind it(thanks tom)and then 3 more on a black rabbit before calling it an eve..lure fishing in the dark is fun! :)

shark slayer
    Participant

went out yesterday to try get my first rainbow trout on the fly..took a while to get to the river because access has been changed..made my way to a spot eventualy and started walking the river looking for good water..this section of the river wasnt the greatest but after half an hour i found i nice deep slower channel of water to the side of heavy flow..had 3 drifts without a touch and then my fourth drift just as i was lifting the line to recast my indicator went under and a 2.5 odd pound bow swam towards me and leapt in the air..i was completely caught off guard and quickly tried to strip line to tighten up but it flicked the hook and was gone..i sat there stunned for a few seconds laughing at the comedy of what had just happened but at least i had hooked my first bow and i was confident there would be another fish holding in the water..i flicked my nymph back up stream and about mid drift my indicator stalled and i struck..a nice wee bow flew into the air and this time i was ready..after a short but fiery scrap i landed my first bow..it only went 1 1/2lb but it was a well conditioned wee fish..then the southwest came up and it became to hard to cast so i packed it in..happy to get my first bow first time out..now i want a cuda!

keenfisherman
    Participant

Where did u catch all those perch bro?!?

shark slayer
    Participant

broke in my new #7 tfo on the weekend on some good sized kahawai..epic scraps.. :grin:

shark slayer
    Participant

scored plenty of good kahawai over the weekend kept 2 all the rest went back..had a hot session friday eve it was almost every cast..went for a rainbow mish around lunchtime yesterday and scored a nice wee 1 and a half lber that was a real scrapper for its size..was stoked to break in the new #4 sage one..awesome rods..all the fish were taken on my own flies aswell..loving this fly fishing :grin:

yellowfin
    Participant

I see you have caught the bug! Nothing like catching fish on your own flies.

shark slayer
    Participant

went out for my first sight fishing experience on sunday..was a cracker of a day for it,no wind and nice and hot…scored 5 nice browns over 3 hours in gin clear water..smallest 2lb biggest was 8 and must of been x sea run because it spent most of the fight in the air and was a real handful on the #4..it was an epic cast around a branch to get to him to..not quite sure how i managed it haha..was cool to get them on my own tied nymph in clear water…size 14 flashback pheasant tail.. 8)

shark slayer
    Participant

been getting plenty of sea runs..alot of smaller fish in the 1.5-4lb bracket..finaly got a hold of a decent 8lb female the other day..finally the 7 weight got a bit of a test..epic runs and a few tail walks before she was subdued and released. :)

shark slayer
    Participant

went out to try get my first trout on a dry fly yesterday eve..found a big jack holding under a couple of overhanging branches rising to surface feed..spotted him at the last minute and quickly ducked down..any closer and would of spooked him..sat and watched him for a while then tied on a #14 elk hair caddis and put a cast over him…no response..let the next cast go a bit further upstream..ignorance again…put in another 10 casts with no response then saw him smash a mayfly that hit the water further upstream than all my casts..aah got it,hes looking further up stream thats why my offerings are being ignored..next cast i planted a bit further up..he came across and nailed it..set the hook and a few minutes later a 9lb jack was landed..he was solid as and had awesome colours i almost thought it was a bow for a while..pretty stoked to egt my first on a dry..tied myself of course 8)

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members