floundering in chch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi there all :)

first post on this website but have been reading for a while,

i am really keen to give flounder spearing a go as i rember watching guys doing it up north when i was a little kid, and love the taste of fresh flounder :)

have got a a flounder light (cheep, water activated led) and a 3 prong spear head, (? what sort of handle is best?) and am looking at getting a cheep pare of waders next pay i hope :) (if any one has a set they want to sell i am in the market :) size 10-11)

i would reall love to get any advice as i dont really know where to start where to go what other gear i need what size is legal?

if anyone is going out and doesnt mind a tag along i would love to be invited so i can get a little experiance before floundering around for flounder on my own lol

thanks in advance

kingsley

troutfishernz
    Participant

Dont know the Christchurch area overly well or much about spearing but I have cought flounder in the past at the waimak mouth on Trout gear using worms as bait.
    Legal size limit is 25cm from memory.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I like to target incoming tides, wade in water about knee deep. Edge of channels and around stream mouths are often the hot spots. Would want to target them on shallow gentle sloping beaches, river estuaries ect.

Lake Ellesmere is suppose to contain a lot of flounders, but it might be to dirty to see them.

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Firstly, it’s a total waste of time trying Ellesmere due to water conditions being filthy and most areas toxic.

Best accessible area to try is off Rockinghorse Rd southshore where most of the cul-de-sacs have easy access onto the estuary.
    Incoming tide, calm night, great fun though I have not done it for years now (don’t actually like flatties anyway).
    Go down for a reccy at low tide and spot the channels and troughs (a handheld gps is excellent for marking those)before trying to do the high tide excursion.
    Another awesome challenge is using a micro spin rod and reel, a size 10 to 14 fly hook and sea worms found at low tide in the stony area on the Main Rd side of the estuary before you get to the causeway (just past the yachting club).
    Take a garden fork with you and dig like mad until you spot them but be prepared for a wee nip, they get pissed off when disturbed BUT Flounders love them!
    Just slip the hook into the worm where you expect or know flatties to be and plop the bait out, no weight, no float, but plenty of concentration and be ready for a rapid takeoff!
    Re waders, I might be able to help you on some neoprene 10’s, try contacting Ben on 022 1522075.
    Green and 5mm I think, very warm. Not sure if he still has them available but very good waders.

rdeejay
    Participant

Many moons ago i lived at Waikuku Beach, peeps would hit the mud flats on a low tide and get a good haul

Anonymous
    Inactive

thanks very much guys :P i am getting ichy feet to go and give it a crack, hadent really heard of targeting them on a line before although i have had the odd one when i have left my line in the water a bit long at pines beach lol

thanks fishy bishy for the contact :) most helpfull they waders he has sound fantastic but i was looking for something a little cheeper :) as wont utilise them enough to warrent have such a great pair of wadders lol

anyone keen to do a mission to the estuary ? :)

Miliwolf
    Participant

Eating fish from Ellesmere is fine, otherwise the commercial operators would not be allowed to fish it. Many people even continue to eat flounders through the warnings… Despite the lakes poor health, it continues to hold very high numbers of Flounders. The water should even become a bit clearer when the lake gets open shortly , although likely to remain to dirty for spearing.

It is not unheard of to catch 50+ Flounders for every set of a net.

This video which was from April this year shows Set Netting in the lake, plus commentary on the illegal flounder poaching.

http://vimeo.com/40844709

Would PM you a spot which should be worth a try.

yellowfin
    Participant

Yes a mate of mine has recently been doing very well netting in elesmere, think he got 50 odd in one set not long ago, but released alot, gave me some too eat two they were beautiful,

considering getting out trying for some on a rod this sat , weather permitting, will have to try find where i put my bait pump in garage, and might dig some marine worms also

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

sportsguru79

yellowfin
    Participant

dont even think he wants to shoot them bishy thing its more jab them lol :razz:

yellowfin
    Participant

ive been eating flounder from lake ellesmere lately and im fine, lol they’re FAT flounder too

Fishy Bishy
    Participant

Allow me to clear an obvious misconception, I didn’t make the comment about not eating the flounders or anything from there in fact, I stated the obvious about the water clarity not being conducive to successful spearing of flounder and that the water is toxic most of the year and in most areas.
    Not fit for swimming or other direct contact water activities (as signed at most direct accessible areas).
    As I recall, Miliwolf was the member who mooted any comment about eating the fish from there, and that comment was out of the blue really considering the theme of the topic.
    The consumption of flounder ex Ellesmere was never in question.

Anonymous
    Inactive

all really helpful info thanks guys i really apresiate it,
    next question i have is regarding the spear itself, i have a spear head (4 prong) and i wonder what sort of handle to attach to it? (broom handle?)

also i have waders now:) so will be looking to brave the waters soon :) anyone keen to show me the ropes?

yellowfin
    Participant

4 prong should be ok, But i believe most are single. and yes i wooden broom handle will do. As for showing you the ropes, im not too sure many here spear flounder sorry

Anonymous
    Inactive

what is a bait pump?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.