Flat seas for the weekend

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Just been down to Cloudy bay and it is almost flat….. Never seen it so calm. :grin: If anyone is down that way check out the mouth of the diversion. It has changed its course.

About to head down the coast to gather a few Paua.

yellowfin
    Participant

yea was driving past birdlings today and called in for a look never seen that that calm either

Miliwolf
    Participant

Spent the day paddling around Kaikoura, awesome. Heaps of dolphins not many fish.

St_Paul
    Participant

Had a nosey down at the wairau bar on monday. big workups offshore and a bit of baitfish activity around the stopbank. didn’t have time for a fish was just scouting out some possies for later.
    plenty of good trout about in the wairau at the moment too. looking forward to having a crack at spring creek come october.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Do you think the trout are sea run or residential? The whitebait should start running in a month or three.

Must get down there shortly and start chasing the trout. Spent many nights down there last year with the streamer and caught zero trout. The KY and mullet kept me amused.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Has anyone put any baits off the cloudy bay lately? anything about? God Ive been hangin out to get the surfcaster in down the coast but if im not pig huntin or trail ridin then im fishing from the boat…and blue cod get boring after awhile :roll:

Miliwolf
    Participant

Have not done any fishing myself from the shore, but I saw a guy with a big red cod and a couple of weeks back my father saw someone at the diversion with a couple of big KY.

Went off Kaikoura in the Kayak last weekend, I only caught Coutas, a few Blue Cod were caught, heaps of Dogfish and maybe a ray. One guy did hook but lost a KY. Someone did have a strong fighting fish on which broke off (I reckon it was a couta but we would never know, he said it was to strong).

Plan to get down to Kaikoura one weekend and have a fish for Moki. The tides were wrong last weekend.

yellowfin
    Participant

It wasn’t a bad sized Kahawai either, certainly gave me a run for my money. I’m off to buy a gaff at the weekend, not losing a fish like that again if I can help it!

Miliwolf
    Participant

KY are good fighters for their size.

I am now using 2-3m of 30lb or 40lb trace at the moment, that way when a fish gets near to my kayak i can pull it into the boat without worrying about the line breaking. It also stands up for a short while against the abrasion of the coutas. When I am fishing in freshwater and hence using light breaking strain and potentially expensive lures I would bring my trout net with me. But in general I try to load my kayak with as little equipment as possible.

Have not been able to find a gaff I like the look off, the X-Tool floating gaff was tempting. Gaffs work great subdueing coutas.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.