Fishing the early hours

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone done much fishing of the early hours? I plan on leaving home to get to karaka point, in picton tonight at 11pm. High tide is 1:30am. ill probably fish till 2,3,4ish, im not sure. Im having sleeping problems so why lay in bed awake all night when i can try my luck.

Anyone done much late night fishing and had much luck? I had a pretty big shark on once at about 12at night but the bugger got off. Not sure how its gonna go.

croozer
    Participant

I have done heaps of all nighters, and been rewarded with a lot of fantastic fishing.Usually the biggest fish tend to be active in the wee hours, be it Kahawai, snapper or any of the sharks/rays. I would sugest beefing up your gear if you intend to do it on a regular basis. Take good note of the moon phases and equate them to your results, it plays a significant role in fish behaviour, esp at night…cheers and good luck

yellowfin
    Participant

Have done loads of night fishing as well, Often areas that are completely dead during the day can have good catches at night, wharves are good places at night, when you only catch small fish during the day big fish often come in at night, plus fun too see things jumping around, A good head lamp is a very very handy thing to have cheap ones will do but are not as bright and being bright means you see more and easier, Very good if fishing from rocks, take a life jacket also if fishing from the rocks ypu slip into deep water at night with any kind of swell you dont see coming will be very dangerous, if from a boat well you should have it anyway, if from the land reflective tape or tip lights are handy especially if your drag isnt overly loud, personally id avoid baits like mullet etc as lice at times can strip them really fast, but never seemed to have a huge problem with fresh mussels tuatuas and the like , dunno if the lice just dont like them, BEst of luck mate

Duckman
    Participant

in the past karaka point can be a bit of a pain for snags, so take lots of tackle. if you can get there before dark grab lots of kina for berley, haven’t been up there in years so not sure if that place still has heaps. only fished there during the day with not much luck. night fishing there might be good, good luck and post here if u get anything, Maybe St Paul or Miliwolf maybe able to answer better to your question as i think they have fished karaka point

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.