fishing quotes (light humour)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Quotations about Fishing

There are two types of fisherman – those who fish for sport and those who fish for fish. ~Author Unknown

A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. ~Author Unknown

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it. ~Irish Blessing

I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish. ~Harold F. Blaisdell, The Philosophical Fisherman, 1969

There is certainly something in angling that tends to produce a serenity of the mind. ~Washington Irving

Somebody just back of you while you are fishing is as bad as someone looking over your shoulder while you write a letter to your girl. ~Ernest Hemingway

The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad. ~A.K. Best

The gods do not deduct from man’s allotted span the hours spent in fishing. ~Babylonian Proverb

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming. ~John Steinbeck

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day. ~Author Unknown

Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley. ~Author Unknown

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

All fishermen are liars; it’s an occupational disease with them like housemaid’s knee or editor’s ulcers. ~Beatrice Cook, Till Fish Do Us Part, 1949

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on the muddy banks of rivers doing nothing because his wife won’t let him do it at home. ~Author Unknown

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there’d be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

We ask a simple question

And that is all we wish:

Are fishermen all liars?

Or do only liars fish?

~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Fishing is boring, unless you catch an actual fish, and then it is disgusting. ~Dave Barry

There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process. ~Paul O’Neil, 1965

The best way to a fisherman’s heart is through his fly. ~Author Unknown

I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don’t know what’s on the other end. Your imagination is under there. ~Robert Altman

Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend. ~Zenna Schaffer

There’s a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. ~Steven Wright

The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope. ~John Buchan

Fishing is a… discipline in the equality of men – for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover

Calling fishing a hobby is like calling brain surgery a job. ~Paul Schullery

…of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox, Silken Lines and Silver Hooks, 1954

Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he’ll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years. ~Charles Haas

I am not against golf, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering trout… ~Paul O’Neil

Three-fourths of the Earth’s surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Fishing is much more than fish. It is the great occasion when we may return to the fine simplicity of our forefathers. ~Herbert Hoover

Good things come to those who bait. ~Author Unknown

Gone fishin’, be back at dark-thirty! ~Author Unknown

Give a man a fish, and you’ll feed him for a day; give him a religion, and he’ll starve to death while praying for a fish. ~Author Unknown

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught. ~Author Unknown

My biggest worry is that my wife (when I’m dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers. Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher’s salary. ~Patrick F. McManus

St_Paul
    Participant

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish. – Mark Twain

Miliwolf
    Participant

There are same very good ones there, but only halfway through the list.

smokin’ joe
    Participant

” Early to bed, early to rise,
    more time for fishing’
    and the telling of lies” -unsure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.