Fishing Kaikoura and the Sounds

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

weather permitting i may go to the mouth tomorrow . i wanted to go surfcasting being a nw today should make the sea calm but since its just turned southerly that doesnt help one bit.

yellowfin
    Participant

If I’m in Kaikoura I use a variety of bait, including mussels and prawns. Fishing is just so damn fickle, not only do you have to be in the right place at the right time, but the conditions usually have to be appropriate too. And even then there’s no guarantee you’ll even catch one fish.
    I’ve tried using the SpotX canterbury surfcasting maps but haven’t found them to be a big help other than listing what size hooks and bait to use for what species.
    A question for you experienced guys – how would you rate the fishing this year compared with past years?

yellowfin
    Participant

id say average. got alot of different types of fish in kaikoura and quite alot of them. so that was good mullet fishing for me has been fairly good with me getting an average of around 50 fish each time i go maybe higher with the couple of 120+ mullet times ive had a few kaiwhai of average size 3kgish not like the 5-7 kg ones i occasionaly get. a fair amount of eels around in the river compared to the last few years i will save my next one for bait. . got a few schoolies nothing of any real great size though and also got 1 flounder a week or 2 back. so id have to say average. may give somehwerea good hiding tomorrow maybe a beach if this n.w / now s.w keeps going.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Out of interest, why do you need to catch 50+ mullets?

yellowfin
    Participant

i dont. keep that many no way. id keep maybe 10 of them a trip if that just when i need sme for bait of for the cat and mulet fishing is rather relaxing at times

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.