Fishing Kaikoura and the Sounds

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Foxyfilly
    Participant

Hi Guys, newbie here.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Access is average in the sounds. Quite a bit of private land there.

You could try fishing the keneperu sounds, you might catch a snapper. Can be quite slow.

The inner queen Charlotte sounds the fishing is slow, you might get a snapper.

Although personally I would drive out towards French pass, out there from the shore you would have a decent chance to catch Snapper or Blue cod from the shore. Maybe even a kingfish.

Generally the further down the sounds and closer to the open ocean you get the better the fishing is likely to be.

Miliwolf
    Participant

There are quite a few spots around Kaikouria. Quite a bit has already been discussed in previous posts.

There are good sites close to the township, or you could drive either south or north. Good spots in both directions. Although the sea can be rougher to the south.

North of the Clarence there is a very nice strech of long gravel surf beaches while north it is more rocky with smaller beaches.

Maybe on the day you drive up to the sounds it could be worth a stop at the three fords. That is where the main road goes through three fords, quite easy to find. That whole beach is fairly good.

Foxyfilly
    Participant

Hi, thanks for the tips.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Never been to Bulwer, but there would be beach access at the cluster of baches.

You might also be able to sneak down firebreaks or other tracks.

You should be able to catch Snapper and maybe Blue cod. Should be nice down there.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi.I fished down the Bulwer about this time last year.Was using surfcasters off the bulwer jetty and fished about half the day but never got anything.Its a nice place if ya just wanna park up for a day but its a long way to drive just for a fish off the jetty.

As far as I can remember there was only 1 access way to the jetty and boat ramp.When you come down the hill into the bulwer you come to 2 gates.The one to the left is the one you wanna take.Really its the only one you can take because the other gate is clearly marked PRIVATE.Theres a nice grassy area down at the bottom right next to the jetty and boatramp,be allgood for a barby and a beer.But yeah as I said its a long way and this time last year me and a mate spent many hours on the end of the jetty and got nothing,it didnt really look too productive either.

Id recommend Frenchpass.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Where do you normally fish around frenchpass?

I have fished a couple of times in the pass itself and caught Blue cod and Snapper. Can be quite a produtive spot for cod although the current can be a problem.

Also saw plenty of garfish and other bait fish. Both in the pass and beneath the wharf.

Went for a dive to the north west of the pass. Saw Blue cod, Red Moki, Blue Moki and heaps of spotties. Also the odd kahawhai and other baitfish.

yellowfin
    Participant

there are meant to be

Sevengillz
    Participant

Normally fish the wharf.Berley up and fish 3 rods with different rigs between the two of us.Main catches for us so far have been a few pannie snapper,kahawai and a couple of gurnard.I use the burley to bring the baitfish right to our feet.Im hoping to spend a fair bit of time there after new years livebaiting for kingis.Also gonna try hard for a john dory.Apparently Admiralty bay is the place to target them.

Have fished off the beach and off the western point but so far only spotties and alot of lost gear.

yellowfin
    Participant

Last time I went to kiakora (a very long time ago) I had problems finding gaps in the weed. Has this situation improved – I would assume people know the good places.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Nah i’d say it’s still much the same as you would remember it.I was down there in the weekend and everyone was getting snagged up on about every second cast.I lost a couple of rigs when I was casting out but I sussed out where not to cast quick-smart.I was only after moki so I ended up only dropping off the end of the wharf rather than casting it back out.Theres not so many snags at the end but you have to make sure the swell isnt going to push your shit into the piles because there is a fair bit of kelp attached to them.

yellowfin
    Participant

there are a couple of snag around there though but not alot

Mal
    Participant

Just got back from a long weekend at Kaikoura, we dragged the boat up & went for a couple of dives, I was amazed at the lack of fish life only spotting a few wrasse & a couple of moki.The crayfish were there in reasonable numbers but size was lacking. Had a go with the surfcaster at Conway beach but sea conditions were against us with a large roll making it difficult to keep our gear in the water.The highlight for me was having a pod of 200 or so dolphin around us…oh and the beer!

yellowfin
    Participant

I wonder if the damn dolphins and seals are eating all of the fish.. I was expecting summer fishing to be a lot better than what it’s been, the only decent fish I’ve caught this summer are a sevengill shark and some rig, haven’t even got any bigger than average kahawai yet.
    I was at the waimak mouth last sunday for about 4 hours, by the time I left there were 35 people there and I’ll I’d seen caught was one mullet! Maybe I should take up gardening or raise chickens instead, at least you’re guaranteed some reward!

yellowfin
    Participant

or maybe ur just using the wrong bait lol. i havnt really been fishing that much since kaikoura may go 2morrow somewhere not in kaikoura although i wouldnt mind going back up to put another dent in the moki population lol.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.