Fishing in Timaru – Does anyone recommend the place?

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for that guys, I guess I will need to learn to love sharks, always seen them as a nuisance up north, are dogfish, rig etc. good eating?

Do you reckon it’s too early to bother just yet? Everyone says the fishing is best october-march but I’m keen to have a go now the weather is warming a bit.

At some stage I think I might try my luck for some Moki around the breakwater, maybe Patiti point, that reef system looks promising. Can’t afford a license or much fuel at the moment otherwise I would probably be chasing trout. So the closer to town the better.

I’m used to boat fishing for snapper north of Auckland, so I’m looking forward to learning a completely different fishery.
    :grin:

troutfishernz
    Participant

You can eat Dogfish I have and their OK in taste but have poor texture, Rig is good eating and is often used in Fish and chip shops. Elephant fish is the best eating fish around Canterbury though.

Yep October to March is the best time for surfcasting around Timaru. Moki are around all year though. If your going to try the Breakwater area Id move down the beach toward patiti point a few hundred meter’s as there are still Moki there but a lot less snags.

yellowfin
    Participant

Red cod might be around

elmo22
    Participant

going to timaru for the week end are any rig or eles getting caught down there thinking of going to st andrews or fishing by pig hunters creek, going to fish south raiaka on thursday night firday moring then down to timaru

Mal
    Participant

I heard a whisper that elephants were being caught at Washdyke & also Morven, so they would definately be at St Andrews.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Mal

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a go down at the No 1 wharf this afternoon, no luck just a Wrasse. Every weekend seems really windy so haven’t really had a chance to try the beaches, slightly frustrating with not much going in the harbour (yet?).

troutfishernz
    Participant

Stoney

Anonymous
    Inactive

Had a go around the breakwater and south beach today, no luck. Maybe you’re right and I need to try later in the evening, or try one of the beaches a bit further away.

nzhuntahr
    Participant

I have just brought viking profish 440 kayak for fishing off timaru.There are plenty of elephant fish to be caught off the beaches north of washdyke.I set a longline on my maiden voyage didnt go far as m8 was on surf ski(about 300m off breakwater).Got 2 dog fish 1 grey boy and small elephant fish.Going atleast 2k off patiti point this weekend weather permitting.
    Look on youtube for”kayak fishing off timaru coast”. Great vid

Anonymous
    Inactive

I haven’t had much luck in my first season in Timaru, I have caught small school sharks, small red cods, small Warehou, Wrasse etc. but nothing worth keeping. I have been persisting with fishing mostly close to town because it is so convenient, my fishing time is often limited and there are fishable spots when its onshore.

Just had some newb questions also:

What should I be targetting around Timaru (close if possible) this time of year? Which spots should be likely?

How much time do you usually need to put in to expect decent catches?

I have been using 4oz upside down pyramid sinkers, is that much too light? How essential are breakaway sinkers?

I have been using 25lb mono with 35lb 2 hook dropper rig, is that too heavy? Will it be effecting my casting, I seem to be only able to cast (I guess) about 30-40 metres or so. Not sure if it’s my technique, the line weight, the sinker weight or the
    cheap 12ft “Gone Fishing” rod that I bought.

troutfishernz
    Participant

when I used to fish in Timaru city the main spots I would fish where off the rocks around by the port,The beach south of the breakwater by the petrol tanks and the beach by the Smithfield meat works, Would mostly catch Dogfish and small school sharks but occasionally caught the odd elephant fish and conger eels Also hooked a huge stingray around Caroline bay, As I said earlier I Found the fishing to be more productive North and south of the city at places like Connolly road and St Andrews so mainly fished there rather than the city.

4oz Pyramid sninkers are fine in calm conditions and off the rocks where there is lots of snags but really if fishing off the shingle beaches breakaway sinkers are better.

what diameter is the 25lb mono? this is more important for casting distance than breaking strain. ideally you want 0.40mm Which is about 20lb. The cheap rod should be fine just don’t overload it id be using 3oz sinkers rather than 4oz. There are verious other ways to improve your casting distance such as clipping down your baits,getting a reel with a long cast spool,using braid etc. But really as long as your clearing the breakers you should catch fish.

Anonymous
    Inactive

My mono is .50mm is that going to make a big difference? I’m really trying to do my fishing as cheaply as possible, haven’t even got a rod spike yet, so I’d rather not upgrade if I can get away with it. :D

So you reckon 3oz breakaways would be best for the beaches, and 4oz pyramids for the rocks? It’s interesting I have casted much shorter rods and seem to get the same distance as the bigger one so obviously something isn’t quite right with that set up.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Check your rod it should have maximum cast weight printed on the side. Most 12ft rods even the cheap ones should comfortably cast 3-4oz whether it be breakaway or pyramid sinkers.

Dropping down to 0.40mm will definitely increase your casting distance by how much im not sure but when I dropped from 25lb down to 20lb I got an and extra 10m or so.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.