Fishing in kaikoura

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Hey guys

I am wondering can anyone give me info for land base fishing rigs/bait/spots in kaikoura.

Im loosing my eyesight so am not allowed to drive but I will be there from the 3rd to the 5th of november.

Currently i have a couple of decent surfcasting rods a spinning rod .

I dont mind crawling over rocks and would some of that pellet burley be worth a go.

i know that most places have been way overfished :( but would be good to fish somewhere that may give me a chance to catch something.

One more thing i wanted to know is has anyone had any good experiences with fishing charters in kaikoura might give that a go too

Thanks guys Quinn :D

yellowfin
    Participant

Nearly anywhere on its day in kaikoura you will catch fish… (nearly anywhere) though not knowing much about rocks just a beach like by the railway station would be a good chance to catch fish

yellowfin
    Participant

As for bait. well it depends what you are targeting. Fresh is best, be it fresh mussels paua guts crayfish for the fussy eaters eg rig moki and what not. Fresh kahawai or mullet is hard to beat for things like Sharks (schoolies sevengillers etc) skate and congers and whatever else swims.

A rig as basic as a ledger will do the trick for nearly anything i reckon. but can go to paternoster styles etc though take more time to tie

yellowfin
    Participant

Am heading up next weekend so with abit of luck the fishing will be better than last time!

yellowfin
    Participant

hey mate
    thanks for the info
    i will be doing a bt of surfcasting i thought kaikoura had been majorly overfished but a few ppl reckon thats not the case
    Ill let you know how i get on too
    Luckicly enough i have ledger rigs already done
    Thanks again mate.
    BTW will squid/pilchards and whatever crabs/shellfish i gather round there be suitable or should i try to go for live baits

yellowfin
    Participant

Depends what you wanna catch. squid/pilchards/bonito etc will work for most species. pranws or shellfish for moki. If you can catch kahawai and mullet for fresh bait they’ll work well.

Miliwolf
    Participant

ultrabob

yellowfin
    Participant

Can’t say I’ve found daytime surfcasting at Kaikoura to be consistent, there doesn’t seem to be many fish close to the shore, night time is more action packed. There’s a great variety of species around in the warmer months.
    Several times I’ve been plagued by sea lice or had to contend with massive amounts of seaweed near the shore all around Kaikoura.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Yeah, I agree I never had good shore fishing during the day at Kaikoura, although I have only rarely fished it mid summer when fishing is generally at its best. 40 minutes up the coast is a entirely different story, that section of coast has plenty of sharks.

yellowfin
    Participant

thats good i will probably be going early morning and 9pmish and its good to know there still are some fish there might have a wander around and have a look anyhow
    Anyone know any good charter boats to go on may as well make my holiday worth it seeing its only for 4 days

yellowfin
    Participant

ultrabob

Miliwolf
    Participant

Been on a few, the only one I can remember the name of launches up near Waipapa bay. Its called Clarence charters and they use a cray boat called the Albatross. Always a good catch of Blue Cod and sometime trumpeters and school grouper.

https://fishingmag.co.nz/kaikoura-pic4.htm

yellowfin
    Participant

cheers guys
    will try some night rock/surfcasting .do you think a sliding or standar ledger rig would do best and shld i bother with bait clips and lumo beads

yellowfin
    Participant

Was planning on going up last weekend but weather didn’t suit. Hopefully will get up there this weekend but again the weather is looking like shit. Just use a standard ledger, 1 or 2 hooks for surfcasting. Hook size depends on what you’re after.

I use lumo tubes on my traces:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=620

yellowfin
    Participant

yeah the weather isnt going to be to great this weekend zac
    :P hopefully november will bring on the great weather

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.