fishing at black rock?? chch

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

hi guys,

me and my dad are looking to go for a fish at black rock… can any1 tell me wats its like?? any tips??? kinda new to fishing so asny advice would be really good!!!! wat kinda set up to use etc….

thanks guys!

fishforpot
    Participant

Keep this hush hush lol ………but last season a mate of mine and I tried a new technique ….it worked a treat

Fish the left hand side of the rock , casting towards the rock on the other side of the bay , it’s called giants nose …..you will spot it ….

Take 2 rods a large bucket and a small bucket, and some burley to attract the mullet ….Catch some mullet and keep them alive in the bucket , keeping in mind the oxygen in the bucket will diminish to the point the mullet will die , so refresh it from time to time using the other bucket

Make sure you have some steel trace and a few triple swivels ……use a normal ledger type rig , the sinker below the swivel by a few feet , and have the the hook on the steel trace off the swivel ……so as to allow the livebait on the hook to swim around and around your main line …..
    That’s right , you fish the bottom with a live bait ……you wont be able to cast too too far , but far enough the avoid the foul …..even if you use a little section of line half the breaking strain of the mainline maybe so it can break free if you do snag it by some chance ……

We found the crabs wont touch the livey , which is the main issue fishing the bottom over there during the day …..and dogfish leave it alone to

You will catch kahawai , barracuta and sharks ..maybe even a kingie

You can see by the rod action if the livey has morphed into a deady …..so no time is lost guessing etc

We caught some sizable school sharks earlier this year this way , something Ive never seen taken off the rocks there ….I suspect many of the predatory fish are hunting closer to the bottom over there , the visibilty isnt that great so it makes sense to get the bait where the fish are ….I have a feeling some good catches will be reported off there if this technique is used more …..

Anonymous
    Inactive

ok we will try that mate, thanks what size hooks were you using over there? nd wat pound line??

thanks

fishforpot
    Participant

The lighter the better for sport ….but if your after a feed and the thrill of the kill , Id go 30lb for castablilty

I normally fish 2/0’s …..but you should probably go twice that size ……

But be warned , set your drag light ….cause they hit on the run …..its not like live baiting under a float ….

Its actually quite a buzz ….you periodically check your rod , and see the mullet struggling away so you sorta go like “oh yeah , still alive , still there ” then you get distracted …..and when you least expect it ……BOMB …..massive bender with absolutely no warning ….

The schoolies wont be here for 6-7 weeks maybe ….the bigger models I mean ….kingies towards the end of december as well ….
    Kahawai and coutta will be here now …….

I imagine this technique will be just as effective off the pier

yellowfin
    Participant

That method should work well for stingrays/eagle rays as well. I usually just use a float if sending out live mullet or kahawai but wind has to be right especially fishing off the rocks you need a wind coming from behind to keep it out. Do you find you get less barracouta fishing livebaits on the bottom?

elmo22
    Participant

lol you may get a whale as well grey boys on bait not on the bottom???? still have a lot two learn about this fishing game though greyboys rig etc were bottom feeders

yellowfin
    Participant

fishforpots method has the livebait on the bottom. Using a float you can change the trace length but usually you would have your livebait a meter or so below the float. Have caught school sharks on a dead mullet under a float and from what I’ve seen school sharks swim around near the surface but probably still bottom feeders.

Anonymous
    Inactive

will try and see wats happens, have been told the bottom is foul so will loose alot of sinkers.. has any1 fished there since the quake?? best way to catch the mullet??

thanks

fishforpot
    Participant

Burley cage with burley bag inside ….half a loaf of bread crushed with 4-5 pilchards mashed into it …have 2 lots frozen and use 1 at a time

Small slither of pilchard skin on each of a few small hooks under a float in the burley will ctach them ..or try bait flies …..

The bottom is clear if you fish left hand side towards giants nose ……

The beauty of the bottom fished live bait is you dont have to worry about the tide or need an offshore wind …

Use a 4-5 oz sinker tho ….and as I said , have it on 20lb line below the swivel so if it snags you can snap it off and still land your fish

As for coutta’s ….Ive found they feed a lot deeper than I thought …..well below a livey under a balloon on many occassions ..which makes me wonder if the kingies and kahawai are the same …..

Comparing catch rates between bottom fishing and float fishing doesnt quite work , unless you fish both at the same time ….. but we did catch several on the bottom ……but with the burley I described we had them at our feet , could have shot them , of gaffed them like I did to the conger that was in the burley as well

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.