fishing around waimate??

Posted By beefbandit On With 0 Comments

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  beefbandit 6 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

beefbandit
    Participant

Hey all.

I am pretty new to this area, Waimate (south island). I have been out surf casting as much as family life and work allows!

I have tried waihau box, beside wainono reserve and hook beach. the later being the best pick from what i have found. Producing a couple of good size elephants, a few red cod and grey boy, also 1 alright sized rig shark. mostly november through january. So not doing to bad, but would like to do better (as would all).

dose anyone have any hints/techniques for this area? or any other areas close by that i could frequent.

Also is it possible to cast past those annoying dog sharks? :roll:

cheers all MK

troutfishernz
    Participant

You could try opposite the St Andrews golf club at the end of galletleys road, I quite often fish there and its good spot for Sevengill sharks and Elephants fish in Summer time.

There is no avoiding the Dogfish but numbers naturally seem to drop away over summer and using Shellfish or crab baits seems to lessen the catch.

beefbandit
    Participant

Awsome will try there when the weather decides to get a bit better :roll: .
    what kind of setup do you need for the sevens? do they chew through line? an can you eat them?

I usually run 20pd main line, 60 pound leader (seems to do well with the rocks) with a two hook setup an home made spoon sinker at the bottom, on a 15ft shakespeare ugly stick.

Im from bay of plenty so shark wasn’t something we ever tried to catch. I have very little knowledge of sharks or most species down here, just what iv learnt over the last year. Which has been see what i can catch then ask anyone around if its worth keeping.

also i forgot to put this in the first post, i have herd that red cod caught down here is usually full of worms. A couple i have caught have had ugly, what i can only describe as thin cylinder shaped red things protruding from the front half out of the body (an im not meaning the feeler things) by only 1cm at the most. its hard to explain but looks like somethings bored its way out. could this be worms? and how do i know if the red cod i catch isnt going to worm my family?

sorry for the probably stupid questions. any help would be much appericated though.

cheers MK

troutfishernz
    Participant

I pretty much use a similar setup to you, 20lb mono mainline 60lb leader and trace but use a 12ft rod and Breakout sinkers rather than a spoon. I target elephants on this setup but sevengills are a reasonably common bycatch. They can chew though the line but I use circle hooks and most times they are hooked in the corner of the mouth and there teeth cant get near the line, although if I was specifically Targeting sevengills id use nylon coated wire. You can eat the smaller ones and there quite nice tasting a bit like lemonfish (rig) but the bigger ones are better off released.

beefbandit
    Participant

cool, what do you class as smaller ones?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Anything less than 5ft long. The meat on the bigger ones has poor texture and is rather chewy to eat but still tastes ok.

beefbandit
    Participant

cheers, do you know anything about the worm thing with red cod caught down here?

troutfishernz
    Participant

Cant really help you there much as I hardly ever catch red cod for some reason, but the ones I have caught have been good. From what Ive been told Its normally when red cod enter harbours they sometimes get worms.

This topic here might be some help different area but contains some info about worms. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=382

Sevengillz
    Participant

Hi beef , Ive got a few cod myself with those red things , I thought they may have been an external parasite different from the typical red cod worm but I didnt really pay much attention as I only keep red cod for bait. Must have a closer inspection next time.
    The half doz cod I got during the week had no external parasites and were in fairly good condition but when I took them out of the bin there was a dozen or so skinny wee worms squirming around in the half inch of rain water still in the bin. The cod wouldn’t of looked so appetizing then if I had planned on eating them but I have never heard of anyone getting crook from them.
    I keep the cod for shark baits during the summer. in fact red cod is the only bait I use if targeting Sevengills and Tope and it works well.
    For sharks I use either 100lb wire trace , 100lb sure-weld and a 10/0+ circle hook with big slab of red cod fillet.

So dont throw away all the sick looking cod lol

beefbandit
    Participant

cheers troutfishernz that topic helped.

sevengillz thanks. The first red cod i caught looked awsome (not that i knew what it was :lol: ) no parasite looking things when i caught it. but once i got it home in the bucket there was a sea lice and a few worm looking things in the bottom of the bucket. I figured they were what the red cod had ate. Didn’t infect the family ether. i have learnt that if you lightly salt the fillets and refergirate for a night the texture is alot better for eating. If only i knew i could use them for bait, i have thrown probably 3 or 4 good sized back because they looked infected.

and also for anyone who wants to catch only red cod, i have found that the gulp soft bait NUCLEAR CHICKEN catches them and nothing else down here touches it.

Sevengillz
    Participant

Yeah I think any fish baits will do the damage ive just used more red cod for shark baits than anything else and its produced the goods time after time. I only use it when chasing sharks though , I dont target anything else with it.

shark slayer
    Participant

hi mate..the best bait for red cod in my opinion is raw prawn and that way you also avoid the doggys…red cod have an undeserved reputation as worm ridden and no goo to eat fish but it is far from the truth..alot of species of fish can get worm..i find most red cod i catch to be clean..you generaly catch the worm filled cod near river mouths as they come in to cleanse themselves of the worm in the fresh water..but not all the river mouth cod have worm alot will still be fine…the worm they have is not harmfull to humans but if you fillet one and it is infested just follow sevengills advise and bang it out for a big tope or giller…the external growths they have do not effect them or the flesh at all and i also have seen them on blue cod,kahawai and tope up in the gill area…everyone will tell you to salt the flesh or put it in milk but all that does is ruin the flavour..ice them down strait away and put them in a cold refrigerator over night before filleting and you will receive big thick solid fillets with no watery texture and they are super good eating… :) cheers.

beefbandit
    Participant

Awsome thanks Shark Slayer. I will definatly try that. Will have to make a space in the fridge for a whole fish or two though. I was worried that the worms might grow inside a human :oops: !!
    Is there much point in fishing this time of year? the last couple of times iv been there has been way to much seaweed.

troutfishernz
    Participant

Depends on if you like catching lots of Dogfish and Red cod as that’s all that is around mostly. I still go out fishing in winter but not that often.

beefbandit
    Participant

I was also wondering dose anyone know how far out the pebbley rock things go. dose it turn into sand bottom close, an if so would a breakaway sinker like we use on the soft beaches be a better bet than spoon shaped?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Members