First Boat, First Outing

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    rdeejay
    Participant

So my brother decided it was time to get a boat to get out and about and do some fishing and whatever takes our fancy at the time, settled on a 2nd hand 5.2m fibreglass with front cabin etc. We took it out for it’s first outing yesterday at lyttelton took it for a wee cruise around and then settled up in the middle of the channel opposite the coastguard building, dropped a couple of lines for a bit of a fish, brother decides to move the boat elsewhere after about 10 mins, goes to start motor and then the fun begins…click click click…click click click “oh great” so fun fun had to use the 2.5hp trolling motor to get back in! Got back home still no go so we jump started it and after a cough and splutter it went again. Battery obviously stuffed as it was charged the night before. So that was a fun learning experience, must do it again sometime and with a new battery!

Miliwolf
    Participant

What model of boat did you get?.I had a look at a few of the older 5m fiberglass boats a few weeks back, there are a few nice looking Sea Nymphs and older Haines Hunter’s on the market, they are suppose to be a highly seaworthy design, but I could never bring myself to trust the old engines on most of them, and a re-power would stretch my budget.

Thinking of getting a 5m Aluminum pontoon myself. Mainly for the lighting towing weight and less fuel thirsty. Having one would make accessing several good spring time Snapper and Kingfish spots much easier. Although a boat is of limited use during Summer and autumn when the fish are all in shallow.

rdeejay
    Participant

Looks like this one on TM http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor … 460284.htm just without the canopy and it has 2 front seats. I’ll post the actual model once i find out from my brother.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.