elephant fish nape nape

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

hi guys ive been fishing napenape beach about twice are week and catching some good rig. i was wondering is there elephant fish there and maybe moki . its the 2 fish i have never caught

Duckman
    Participant

hi fishmad, i can’t see y those 2 species wouldn’t be there, they can be caught at conway, so keep trying and you’ll never know your luck, cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

yes there are there, Moki definatly will be as there is a reef a wee way off the beach and eles are all along the coast there

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks guys whats the best bait to use

Duckman
    Participant

cooked prawns, crabs

yellowfin
    Participant

tuatua

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks will give it a go

shark slayer
    Participant

paua is the top bait for eles and cooked prawn for the mokes…looks like donald has switched to cooked prawn aswel..wonder who he got that idea off..haha :) cooked prawn is also super effective on the eles..cheers

yellowfin
    Participant

Donald has used cooked prawns for years, lol, so cant claim fame to that one sorry S/S lol

Duckman
    Participant

Socky got me onto them a couple years back, as he used them for rig back then, so stopped using squid went with the cooked prawns and haven’t looked back, i find the fish i target lmao moki love them

shark slayer
    Participant

haha i wasnt meaning me just wondering because last time i read the facebook page donald was asking about marinated mussels or something and was using mussel bait..but the legend has been using them for years haha..i only started using them on moki a month or so ago..i find a mussel on one hook prawn on the other combo to be the best because sometimes they have a preference for one and not the other

fishforpot
    Participant

Dazza fished alongside the likes of Pete Lamb up in Welly for many years , club stuff where moki were targeted a lot …he swears by cray for them ….I can think of better use of the crays tho

Someone told me last year of a place selling cray bodies for $3 each …..but Ive bloody forgotten where argh

yellowfin
    Participant

thanks for the help caught 5 moki 3 were under sized

shark slayer
    Participant

cray tail works ok but i usually wrap it in mussel and hardly use it..all those guys who swear by cray are from up north and the moki may have a different diet up there..down here cray and raw prawn will be terribly outfished by mussel and cooked prawn..i dont find tuatua works that well either..go figure?

yellowfin
    Participant

Have got moki on Tuatua on monday, but have also caught them on prawns Cooked and raw , paua mussels crayfish and crabs , (cray is good in kaikoura ive found as long as its fresh, if been frozen its no way near as good) also got them on scallops and gurnard off cuts.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.