Easter Weekend Plans!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

Long weekend, so where is everybody thinking of heading??

Weather shouldn’t be to bad I dont think fri, sun, monday should be good. Saturday possibly a few showers.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Still thinking about it.

Might head up to d’urville island for several days this week. Would hope to camp on one of the beaches…. Would have to check with DOC to see what the regulations are. Should be able to get a bit of kayak and shore fishing done.

Saturday might be a rest and recovery day, if rebel sports is on sale might visit nelson. I have to go to a wedding on Sunday, might go and fish a local river on the Monday. A nice cruisey day I hope.

yellowfin
    Participant

Heading up to blenheim. Not sure where we are going to head, Probably down portage way. or I’m trying to convince the other guys to have a go at french pass.
    Anyone know some places for snapper, kingfish etc from land?
    What can you get from the wharf at french pass??

Miliwolf
    Participant

Snapper and kingfish would be possible from the wharf… but it is at the wrong end of the season. I personally would walk to the point which is poking out into French pass itself… Plant a large burly and hopefully drag in a few KY, mullet, Snapper and Kingfish.

Casting into the pass itself can be productive. There is a track which goes down to a small lookout and below the lookout there is a hidden track which goes to a small beach and concentrate structure. It is right near to the fast moving bit of the pass, heaps of current. If you are going to try for a kingfish in the pass bring heavy gear.

French pass would be very busy over the easter break… It is a much nicer looking spot then the keneperu.

yellowfin
    Participant

Salmon. Taking my gas cooker to Macintoshes so I can have a fry up for breakfast…
    Divorce proceedings may follow if she finds out how much fishing I am actually planning on doing.

yellowfin
    Participant

Cheers Miliwolf

I’ve always wanted to go back to french pass. Went out on the charter boat there when I was younger and have always wanted to go back since.
    Was some of the best fishing I’ve ever had. And seeing schools of kingfish chasing poppers always brings a smile to my face :)

I’ve never really done any good down Kenepuru and I really want a Kingi so french pass is my destination I think.

yellowfin
    Participant

Ok my mate mentioned Titirangi.. hes caught snapper, gurnard and seen bulk kahawai and rays out there..Anyone tried out there??

yellowfin
    Participant

Looking at heading up to Kaikoura thursday after work, going to try get on the Moki etc at the wharf. Talking to the guys at work and think I’ll try use a few different soft baits. Then friday surfcast the area, maybe go for a snorkel for paua and then fish again friday night.

yellowfin
    Participant

Anyone been to Kaikoura lately? I was wondering whether or not there’s a lot of seaweed in front of the railway station. Although I’ve had little success at Kaikoura, I like this spot because it seems to be worthwhile for fishing a surfcasting rig and a spinning lure at the same time, even if nothing wants your bait you could still fluke something with the lure.

yellowfin
    Participant

im also looking at to heading to kaikoura with steve as well. as for the weed booger from last time i went there was just one big patch easy to spot from the beach its only a short distance out soa cast with more just a flick of the wrist will get it out to that level. also keen to get back into the moki try get some more off the beach by rail way station again would be nice

yellowfin
    Participant

I’m thinking of going to Kaikoura tomorrow and/or thursday as I’ve got the week off and the salmon fishing seems too inconsistent and I can’t be bothered spending the time and petrol money to go to Bluff or French Pass like I was planning earlier. Around the time of the Kaikoura fishing competition the seaweed was so thick in front of the railway station that I kept losing lots of traces and had to give up, quite frankly I don’t mind if there’s no seaweed there!

Sevengillz
    Participant

Might be a good weekend for a Kaikoura mish fella’s the forecast is looking pretty good.Tomorrow we are in for some nor-westers and a high of 29.
    Have been thinking all week about doing a moki mission this weekend….the ol wharf may be packed out after dark by the looks of things.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Gas is one of the worst things about fishing…. I have had a bit of annual leave and have been filling my truck every 2nd day lately…. Going to need full her again tomorrow.

Contemplating going to French pass tomorrow which would use another 1/2 tank… or $35 worth of gas. One good thing about the price of fuel is that it is good justification to buy expensive tackle… For example a brand new Surfcasting reel is now only 5 tanks of fuel or a fish finder for the yak is only 4 tanks. My new tramping pack was only 2.5 tanks of fuel.

If the weather looks marginal I might head down to Kaikouria instead.

HookLineSinker
    Participant

vip_yo

yellowfin
    Participant

HookLineSinker

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.