DIY Rigs

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    yellowfin
    Participant

I like the idea of ajustable ones like gemini, rather than just a whole lot of the same size. I really need some 7 – 8 ounce ones but I think I need an even stiffer rod, not sure if casting out a 8 ounce sinker with a massive bait on it is a good idea, but when I’m using a pully rig for sharks the sinker has to be nearly the same weight as the bait to keep it in place. Was getting good enough distance over the weekend with a 5 or 6 ounce and big bait on both my Solaris and 222.

yellowfin
    Participant

One of my mates has the gemini mould and the leads it makes are very nice BUT it gets a bit pricey as you have to use the gemini nose cones etc.
    A 6 oz with a stiffer wires and a rubber band wrapped around them wont hold well enough? Do you really need 7 or 8 oz to hold to the bottom?

yellowfin
    Participant

It’s not about holding, it’s more that pully rigs don’t work unless the sinker is around the same weight as the bait or heavier, so if using big baits you need big sinkers. I made up a heavy sinker myself, just poured a lot of lead over a normal breakout sinker and then put some tape around it.

rdeejay
    Participant

I buy palmeto’s breakouts as well, the non long tail ones, for non adjustable bait clips i just shape no8 wire and link it on the sinker wire, and for adjustable bait clips i have sleeves and stick paper clips through them and shape them to suit

rdeejay
    Participant

zac

storm
    Participant

why do you put tape or heatshrink over the crimps ?

yellowfin
    Participant

Apparently it reduces the magnetic fields in the water, if you use the big stainless steel type hooks you can wrap tape around them as well and use plastic coated wire. I read somewhere that sharks and rays can sense the metal in the water.

storm, you getting any seven gillers down your way yet? Should be around by now

Miliwolf
    Participant

zac

yellowfin
    Participant

Yeah you’ll still hook dogfish on anything I think, and a lot of sharks and rays I’ve had have had a lot of exposed metal. But anything that might give some advantage is worth a try.

Miliwolf
    Participant

I might include a few Stainless steel spoons onto my Snapper rigs to get rid of the Rays, or maybe a Magnet :idea: .

Drive up and fish Parikawa beach over high tide, you should catch heaps of Sevengillers and large topes. About 20 mins north of Kaikoura. Beach access is at Washdyke Stream or at the three SH1 fords.

storm
    Participant

i havent been out for a fish for about 6 weeks (thanks to work ! ) but a mate of mine hooked 4 on sunday arvo he only managed to land one was about 7 foot today before the bad weather would have been the ideal time

yellowfin
    Participant

Well sounds like they’re around everywhere now, gonna go somewhere on Sunday/Monday, swell conditions are looking good and meant to be 21 on Sunday. Might even head down to Rangitata and spend the night.

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.