Distance Casting Rapalas

homepage Forums Fishing Forums Fishing Lures Distance Casting Rapalas

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

What is the make and model of the Rod?

Been looking for a decent rod for casting light lures for a while.

fisho
    Participant

I have a couple of rods I use for this. The one I use most is a Backbone Elite 7’6″ it is tippy enpough to cast out light Rapala’s and soft enough to take up the shock with using braid but still grunty to handle big fish. If im fishing smaller water and targeting smaller fish I use my GL3 light G Loomis spin. It can handle large fish if it has to.

The biggest thing I found when using light braid was using a decent quality reel was a must. If you try to use you good OLD spin reel you have used for years you might find yourself getting alot of wind knots and tangles. You need a reel designed to fish braid, a good line lay system to lay the braid onto the spool with nice tight wraps to stop the line cutting into itself decreasing casting distance and causing clumps of line to come off and wind knots.

Tight lines…..

Miliwolf
    Participant

Think I know the Backbone Elite you are talking about. My most expensive trout rod is a Shimano T-curve 1-3kg but I am not overly impressed with it, casts no better then my Berkley Dropshot 3-5kg. I feel the t-curve is simply to short.

G. Loomis does have a few very nice looking trout rods on the market. Would love to cast a few one day.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.