Cyclone waves

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Miliwolf
    Participant

Large waves, probably caused by the cyclone a few days back are currently smashing into the Marlborough coast. Combined with a king high tide and it is quite impressive.

This wave action would certainly stir the bottom up a bit, I watched a sea bird catch a herring near the shore today but only did 3-4 casts with my spinner…. When the sea calms down a bit, it could mean the flounders would move in close to feed. Other fish species might also move in to feed on the disturb ground. Going to be a interesting next week or so.

So I would be heading down there with my light tackle Monday or Tuesday next week.

man it must of been a beast of a cyclone storm up north making huge seas in the south aswell. the beach i normally fish has had good winds and it is very rare for these big swells for the conditions we have had. not to mention on top there are huge surges on all beaches in the south.

Miliwolf
    Participant

Is anyone else going to target flounders once the sea calms down?

Mal
    Participant

Ideal conditions to target Rig.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

How do you go about targeting flounders with light tackle? I’d really like to know as have always wanted to catch a flounder on a rod.

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

thats an easy one there aaron over winter we will organise a few flounder and sole trips to the mouth and i can show you
    its pretty much have asensitive rod with lightish line running to a sinker of about 1oz below this hav 3 or 4 small bait hooks with something like ghost shrimp/yabbies/worms on the hook and hav theses hooks off short leader bits of line. then at the mottom hav another 1 or 2 oz sinker. and you look to cast for the deeper channels in the rivers

Jones Jr.
    Participant

Look forward to it Greg!

Do the flounder etc hang around in winter as much as they do in summer?

Cheers
    Aaron

yellowfin
    Participant

from what i think even more in winter

Miliwolf
    Participant

If the showers remain few and far between…. cloudy bay is looking good tonight. According to marineweather the waves are now less then a meter…. incoming tide…

I would be down there tonight with a couple of surf rods targeting rig, and a spinning rod targeting flounders.

Even Marfells / Saltworks should be fishing well tonight, it seems to be quite sheltered after a southerly. But that is to far of a drive for a work night.

Jones Jr.
    Participant

How do you go about targeting flounders milli? Something similar to what Greg was saying?

Cheers
    Aaron

Miliwolf
    Participant

I went out last night, and my tactic was to leave my flounder rod at home….

I simply set up my surf rod for rigs ect… Then with a light spinning rod with a couple of small hooks, spoon sinker and walk along the coast and simply cast to the edge of the white water then retrieve the lines. The flounders should be in the shallows feeding.

St_Paul
    Participant

Did ya have any luck? haven’t been out for a fish since last week and starting to get antsy!!

Miliwolf
    Participant

Sea was calm-ish.

Caught a small rig, spent about and hour and a half fishing.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.